Vista Trouble

Spunkmeyer6

Been trying Vista 32 Ulimate for a few weeks and on the whole been ok with it, but have a few niggling problems with it.

Firstly have googled about a bit for dual boot but getting nowhere, I made a small partition for Vista on an exisiting drive with Acronis disk director. Installed ok but cant get to boot from it unless I have the Vista DVD in my drive. I tried doin a selector on XP, maybe I picked the wrong partition number but no joy. I found a page on Microsoft but couldn't understand it for Vista using Bcdedit.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

Maybe someone who speaks MicroSquish can translate it for me.

Next problem it seems to want to steal memory for my graphics card, 256 meg to be precise or more when I stole the ram out the kids computer temporarily. I've hunted around but cant find anything on this.

And lasty nvidia drivers for the onboard Lan, they dont seem to have gigabit settings on them. So I can only set my Lan as 100m/bit.

Thanks in advance

cant help u on the dualboot... but i think it should work if u install XP then Vista. i had similar problem on my XP installation when it wont boot unless the cd is in the drive, and the only way to fix it is either reformat, reinstall, but this time take out ANY unused harddrives. second is to go to recovery console and run the bootloader and set it to boot on the partition u want... forgot the 2 commands are, maybe others can help. plus i dont know about Vista.. im just wondering if u can load XP's console and set the bootloader to vista from there...

steal ur vga ram? whadaya mean?

nvidia's onboard lan doesnt have driver for the gigabit yet, thats correct. but my Marvel seems to be detected fine.... but not like i have a gigabit router anyway...

Guest Synchronize

What red said about installing xp and then vista works for dual boot. I currently have vista on dual boot with xp by using this method.

I have XP on the Seagate C: drive already, and made a partition on the Seagate which comes up as G: which I installed Vista on to. So I have no way to select the G: drive in bios. I tried to edit boot.ini on the XP drive and it was set multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) so I added a line for Vista and assumed it would be paritition(2) but it just hangs if I select Vista. Maybe I got the numbers wrong??

As for Memory theft if you select display properties on Vista it's taking 256m system ram and sharing it for display purposes, it was stealing 512m when I had 2 gig in. The card has it's own 256m ddr3 onboard so why would it need to take ram from the system, it's a PCI-e card and not an onboard thing. I've googled and rooted around on the system but can find no mention of it. Surely someone else must have noticed.