X-Fi Crackling/Popping - Ultra-D

AndyMacMartin

Hi,

Just got an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card, and have the crackling/popping/shrieking issues.

Is there a bios that helps with this?

I heard upgrading to 2GB dual channel RAM might work.

Any advice anyone?

Guest LookBackX2

My X-Fi had the same issues when I got it. Shortly after, Creative released an updated driver that they claimed fixed the problem. I downloaded it from their site, installed it and havn't noticed any problems since.

Give it a try.

I have an X-fi and they don't seem to like to share IRQ's with other devices. Make sure its on its own IRQ.

They don't like alot of things :P

Oh believe me its on its own irq that was something i looked into along time ago

even faffing about with pci latency settings makes bugger all difference.. Meh shouldve got an audigy 2

One of the things I discovered about the X-fi is no matter what mobo I was putting it in it only worked correctly in the bottom PCI slot. May or may not help you. Sorry for your troubles, it really is an awesome card when it works.

When I installed the drivers that came with the CD I never had any problems and then creative released new drivers

I installed them on top of the old ones...started having cracking sounds all over

once i removed the drivers using driver cleaner and reinstalled the webdrivers from scratch, works beautifully

So try uninstalling using driver cleaner and then reinstall the new drivers from the web...see if that helps