650i chipset

Guest ElAguila_merged

Yes, the HR-05 SLI will work. I will install one tommorrow with a 70mm fan. I am running a E6600 with Mushkin PC8500 @ 9*367, ram @ 800MHz unlinked, 5-5-4-12, 2T. Vcore 1.325V, Vdimm 2.25V, NB 1.39V.

Wish I had just gone with some good PC6400 as I have sofar been unable to run the ram at its rating with any stability. I hope the HR-05 will help but I still think it might be the bios. I am still running with original bios 202.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ElAguila

It will work depending upon which heatsink you are using. If you aren't using a monster heatsink like me it will fit fine. I just removed my ninja and replaced it with an ultra-120 with the bolt on kit and a thermaltake 120mm smartfan. I am currently at 8x400=3.2GHz with the ram at 1:1 divider at 800MHz. I have 1.42v on vcore and 1.59 on the NB. With the ninja running orthos loaded my temps were 47C. With this cooler they are at 40C. I might get up the nerve this weekend to try for 3.6GHz. Although I have found on this board that running the memory at a 1:1 divider is much better than using a divider. Running my ram at 1020MHz using a divider gets lower scores in everest than running it at 800MHZ using a 1:1 divider. I must says that this has turned out to be a great board for me. My only complaint is the vdroop.

Using the Freezer 7 Pro I had to bend the bottom fin up and notch the frame on the fan to clear the NB stock heatsink. With the HR-05 these 'mods' are not required. The Freezer 7 Pro is a good cost/performance selection as it is much cheaper than most large HSFs I am familiar with and its performance is very good with overclocked Core2s.

Wish that I can put this on too but my Noctua already touching the top of the NB from one side, Touchline could you please send me a close up of the NB, so I can determine if this setup will work in my PC? Thanks!

Wish that I can put this on too but my Noctua already touching the top of the NB from one side, Touchline could you please send me a close up of the NB, so I can determine if this setup will work in my PC? Thanks!

Here is a closer shot. About the best I can do with the available limits for posting. The HR-05 SLI unlike the HR-05 is offset. You can see the heatsink plate the covers the NB chipset in the center of the pic. This offset gives considerable room for even the largest CPU HSFs currently available. The Freezer 7 Pro made contact with the stock NB heatsink and required a notch be cut in the frame of the mounted fan on the CPU sink as well as bending up the two bottom fins of the heatsink to clear the stock NB heatsink.

2100373HR-05SLIClearance.jpg

You might have to install fan for the Noctua on the opposite side or not install a fan on the HR-05 SLI. The big fan on the Noctua might actually draw enough air thru NB to provide sufficient additional cooling. Anyway, I hope this helps.

The fan I am using on the HR-05 SLI came off an AMD stock heatsink.

Thanks! Touchline, very nice of your detailed info, from the above picutre I see the HR-05 SLI is completely out of the way from the chipset base. So, if I install this (let's say without fan), my noctua will not touch this NB HS at all. And since I mounted 2 fans on the Noctua which blow air direct out to the chasis fan & it should provide enough air flow down there. That's good, so I am getting this & just buy a little HS for the SB at the same time.

BTW, Mine is running 9 x 400MHz 3-3-3-1 1T 1:1 dual SuperPi32M rock solid. But can't increase the ram much... even 900MHz my windows will freeze & I loosen the timing to 5-5-5-15 2T still the same. I think is the BIOS which holding the ram back. Unlinked, FSB 1600, MEM 800 now from BIOS, what about yours?

I am running 9*367MHz, 1467 FSB, 800MHz memory, 5-5-4-12, 2T, 7:8. Kinda stuck here for a while until I can get some time to test higher settings with tighter timings. You are where I would like to be, nice job! That should make for an excellent gaming rig. :)

My time currently is being taken up fooling with a dual boot setup XP/Vista. I four 74GB Raptors paired separately using Raid 0 setups. Been awhile since I did this so I am having to re-learn stuff...and Vista. :eek:

Think you are right about the bios being the limiting factor with the memory. I am still using the 202 while some use the beta 401 and some 307 with varying success. I have not seen a solid solution yet.

This is the best I can push this board with the Corsair 2GB C3 ram. No matter how I increasing vDimm or vCore, still the same. The max I can reach is 3,712MHz = 1650/4*9 but will hang when SuperPi. Timing is tight but not enough bandwidth... I cannot increase the ram even to 410MHz. Any idea?! :confused: Is it really the board limitation for the ram?

http://i13.tinypic.com/44uy69e.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/4ghljwj.jpg

Guest ElAguila

Are you running synced? If so then you are running the ram at 1640MHz. I run mine not synced and my supertalent pc6400 can reach 1020MHZ easily.