What BIOS is best for NF4 Ultra-D?

try getting a hold of OCZTony and ask him for some workable settings for your ram. probably one of your auto settings isnt working with your sticks.

instead of 3-2-2-8 you should be running 3-4-4-8 to loosen up the timings.

i run 2.5-3-3-7 up to 250 fine with 2t, up to 240 with 1t, which i prefer.

tony reps for OCZ so he should know better,as well as its his bios youre using.

My mem is more stable at 244MHz 3-3-2-6 1T timings. They won't do 250 3-4-4-8. No point asking Tony for settings. I need my mobo RMA'd because the yellow slots wont work. Maybe that has an effect on my mem. I don't know, but I doubt my mem-modules are causing yellow slots to go no-POST. Mobo is definitively faulty. I'll re-bench my mem once I get a new mobo.

Well, it turns out one my memory socket is faulty. The 2nd lowest memory socket, 1st yellow one, won't let the system even POST if run in Single Channel mode (with only one module). Just tested both modules individually in the two top-most sockets, but they're still not up to 250 MHz at rated timings 3-4-3-8. So mainboard and memorymodules are faulty I guess ?
How did you determine this?

Enable memtset in the BIOS. Test your memory with test’s #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes. This will give you the answers of bad or good memory.

Place the memory in the orange slots and clear the CMOS. Record your settings first.

If that doesn’t work try a long CMOS clear like this and follow it exactly.

If you have flashed the BIOS is possible that went bad. Get TMod BIOS CD and redo the BIOS off of TMod’s CD. Tmod's Bios Flash CD & Utility CDs. It’s safe and easy. Clear the CMOS first Load Defaults and then flash. Clear and Load Defaults again.

May I also suggest reading; The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide even if you’re not planning to overclocking. It is filled with all kinds of info about your BIOS settings. Understanding those settings will take you a lot farther with your rig.

I need my mobo RMA'd because the yellow slots wont work. I don't know, but I doubt my mem-modules are causing yellow slots to go no-POST. Mobo is definitively faulty. I'll re-bench my mem once I get a new mobo.

if i put my memory in the yellow slots it will no post too,because the auto timings for the yellow slots are not compatible with my memory.you need to read up on what is compatible with your board and memory.the tighter mem

timings required for the yellow slots are no go with your memory,nothing wrong with your mobo.go to the old DFI street posts at the bottom of the forums and read up.

theres a reason everyone is saying to use the orange slots.

Just tried resetting my cmos before placing modules in slots 2 and 4, the orange ones, but still no POST. 3 LEDS lit as for CPU identified, but no 2 LEDS for DRAM. Monitor stays on Stand-by and Power-led on chassis keeps flashing.

I think some say yellow slots are best, some say orange slots are best, but I really don't know. Manual says slots 2 and 4, orange slots, should be used for best performance, while yellow slots , 1 and 3, should be used along with 2T timing for best stability.

Although some also say that it's fair to assume mem modules run best in slots closest to the cpu, the DIMM-Slot-numbers are read from above (logically of course). Best procedure to get your NEW DFI A64 system to POST is to use only the top most mem-slot 1 along with only the necessary peripherals and default settings. Maybe that's also to rule out the MB for being bad by using the mem slot furthest away from the cpu, but frankly I don't know.

Read this thread in OCZ, as I'm currently still wondering if I should RMA the mainboard or my memory modules:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130617

*LATEST POST BY ME*

"I just tried resetting my cmos before re-trying to run the modules in the Orange slots (slots 2 and 4; read top-to-bottom), but system wont POST. It hangs with 3 LEDS lit meaning cpu is detected. Next step, reducing the light by one LED, means DRAM is detected, but that never happens. Power-on LED keeps flashing and monitor stays on Stand-by.

I'm still not 100% sure what causes the problem; if it's the board, the mem or just me being a bit of a noob - but I'll troubleshoot a bit more on DFI Forums.

I'm also wondering what benefits I would gain at all by RMA'ing my sticks, because they run Platinum timings (3 3 2 8) at 244MHz, yet they're rated at Gold timings (3 4 3 8) 250MHz, which they wont do under any circumstances.

If my board's indeed the culprit, RMA'ing my mem could put me in the position where I'll have to pay for a technician salary because I RMA'ed not-faulty mem, and still, why would I expect the mem I'd return from RMA, to be running at the same Platinum timings at speeds anywhere above 250MHz."

"EDIT: Btw I'm sorry for the delay between my posting, but I've been having issues with my graphics card, due to some dustballs trying to conquer my GPU.

I can't see anywhere what revision the mem are, only the partnumbers on the stickers on the modules:

PN: OCZ5002048ELGE-K

couldn't find no serial number either: Cpu-z fields are greyed out. Sisoft says they're manufactured December 25th 1999, but I doubt that's even possible."

did you run memtest on each of your sticks individually?cant tell if theyre

bad till you do.if you see errors either the stick is bad,and thus no dual channel.or there is a timing setting that doesnt like your memory.i could only see one infineon mem module at 3200 on the approved list.OczTony will

know if its the stick or the settings.he made your bios.he reps your memory.

Seems I've screwed up my reset-cmos procedure. Instead of moving the cmos-jumper from default to clear, I've switched on and off the onboard pc speaker :e

Nevermind that, I've managed so far to make one stick running at 3 4 3 8 timings at 250 MHz in DIMM2 (the topmost orange memory slot). With the exact same settings in Dual Channel mode, DIMM2 and DIMM4 as suggested in the manual, 250 MHz 3 4 3 8 is NOT stable.

Funny thing is that 247 MHz is now stable at 3 3 2 8 timings, where 244 was the maximum until now. I think I can conclude my motherboard aint bad, and that my mem wont do rated specs (close though!) in neither yellow or orange slots. Still there seems to be some truth to the saying that Dual Channel mem should be run in the orange slots, since I'm now able to run the mem stable 3 MHz higher speed.

I'm looking into being a BIOS tester for an update of 704-2BT bios with updated Memtest and updated NVRaid Bios, but I'm not sure how to try out this 704-2BT Bios without losing my NVraid array. I definitively do not want to lose that.

• 7 months later...