Odd Problem

I'm baffled with this one, maybe it's a mobo issue - dunno. When I boot Windows and it gets to to just before the logon screen, the screen turns black and sits there. When Windows is "activated". I have to turn my printer on / off with the USB plugged into the pc. Once the printer turns on / off the logon screen appears and it's fine.

I tried to boot into safe mode earlier and it would get stuck at MUP.SYS until I did the same thing, then it would boot into safe mode. Otherwise it'd just hang. ???

Well I've did all that's mentioned above and it's still having this odd problem. I've discovered that it isn't necessarily the printer, but any USB device. The screen goes black, I have to insert a USB device and then remove the device and Windows will boot up normally. I've tried removing all USB components in the device manager, rebooting, and re-installing - same results. I've re-installed Windows, SP2, updates, etc. and it's still having the same problem. Any more ideas?

I disabled the USB in the BIOS and it now boots up. Could the USB ports be bad here or ??? What would cause it to work with USB disabled but not work when it's enabled?

I have seen plenty have problems with booting when they have usb pen drives/external usb drives and some other usb components, first i have heard of a printer stopping the boot process......on these mobo.....have you tried different ports?????? Do you have a lot of usb devices connected, try one or 2 at a time, see if it makes a diff.

EDit which bios are you using? Maybe an update to the newest might help?

Logan

Some printers and multifunction devices have "card readers" included.

If you go into BIOS and disable "Boot Other Devices" you may resolve the issue.

Change the boot settings to only allow boot from the Optical and Hard Drive.

Did you also turn off "Boot Other Device"?

The boot devices are only 1) CD 2) H.D. 3) Disabled - I have no USB devices connected upon startup. Is it possible the printer shorted out one of the USB sockets? I am currently using 4/6/06 BIOS.