Computer wont run faster than about 800MHz!!

Ok, so I've had the lanparty setup for a while, and always had over heat issues. So I just recently got tired of using a small fan to blow on my computer and buy a Evercool VC-RE fan. Well the install went fine, but when I turned it on the system would just restart right before staring up windows. Well I went in to the board setup, and pulled the CPU multiplier back to 4x and it works, but can't go any higher than that... Any ideas?

Thanks.

Guest Radiohead

Well if you're useing the heatpipe cooler that came with your CPU there should be no overheating issues with the CPU. What exactly were your temps when you were haveing your "overheating issues"?

Well if you're useing the heatpipe cooler that came with your CPU there should be no overheating issues with the CPU. What exactly were your temps when you were haveing your "overheating issues"?

When playing any decent game, such as CoD 2, C&C Generals, Doom 3, ect. the system would lock up and restart. The CPU was not what was giving me the issue, it was the chipset, at idle it would be around 50*C once it went past 53-55 I would get lock up and restart.

Also the restart issue I'm having now. The 5 lights on the motherboard that show the start up with RAM check ect. Gets down to the last light. Right after the table that shows all the IRQ settings (if I remember correctly) during boot up. Then there is the two lines that come after that, I know the second line is saying the CMOS is backup ok. When the multiplier is set past x4 that’s exactly where it resets before it gets to those 2 lines, it holds there a little bit, but then restarts.

Could this be a power supply issue? I'm running the Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w if I remember correctly.

sounds like psu or vid card drawing too much on the psu.do you have all four

motherboard connectors hooked up and fans running from the psu instead of the mobo?

I believe I have all the connections hooked up. I need to sit down and look at it, when I can find some time.

Is there anyway to tell if the psu is going bad?

Also, I put my video card in the second PCI-e slot, would that make a difference?

Guest Radiohead

One thing that you may find helpful if your temps remain a point of contention it may not be a bad idea to remove you chipset fan, lap the bottom of the sink and reapply it after applying some AS5 or AS ceramique to the unit.

if youre running your pci e card in slot 2 without the jumper set, in video intensive apps it might be overwhelming your video bus as its only running 1x

i believe. have you run through all the component checks,ie set the memory

divider lower to see if its a memory problem,lowered the multi and upped the

htt to see when the cpu craps out,etc.with that video card you should be

looking at more psu wattage.whats your htt set at ? trust me if all 4 power

connectors,24 pin, 4pin square atx,floppy and standard size molex arent connected youll have all sorts of problems.and make sure not to run ANY

fans from the mobo,straight to the psu or a fan controller.

if youre running your pci e card in slot 2 without the jumper set, in video intensive apps it might be overwhelming your video bus as its only running 1x

i believe. have you run through all the component checks,ie set the memory

divider lower to see if its a memory problem,lowered the multi and upped the

htt to see when the cpu craps out,etc.with that video card you should be

looking at more psu wattage.whats your htt set at ? trust me if all 4 power

connectors,24 pin, 4pin square atx,floppy and standard size molex arent connected youll have all sorts of problems.and make sure not to run ANY

fans from the mobo,straight to the psu or a fan controller.

Ok, well I finally got around to sitting down and working on the system. I pulled the board, and fixed the fan so the video card can now sit in the PCI-e one slot. Turned it on and changed all the settings to the lowest value or auto, except for the CPU multiplier and left it at 4x, the system started up fine. I then changed the multiplier to 5x and the same issue happened again. I set it back to 4x and was looking at my voltages through the application given with the lanparty board (Smart Guardian I think). And my ATX +3.3v was running at around +3.23v to ~3.25v. So I'm thinking that’s my issue. What do you think?

Check the recommended power supply list here.

I checked the link, good info. I see my PSU is not on there... I'm still leaning towards the PSU being the issue. But I don't know can anyone else think of something that may be causing my system to do this?

Again Note:

- The system worked fine for almost a full year. (Mind you with: 2 hard drives, 2 CDROM drives, 2GB RAM, and a SB Audigy 2 Platinum, at the proper speeds)

- I had lock up issues (Possible PSU issues?) That I thought where heat related, do to the fact that when I had the case open and a 12" fan on it, the system ran fine.

- I did the VC-RE fan mod, and I put my graphics card in the second PCI-e slot because of clearance issues with the fan.

- After the mod when I turned it on the first time I had a quick blue screen flash, and then the system rest.

- Restarted the computer and it would restart right before windows boot up, and it would not make it to the "CMOS Backup - OK!" line, or the line right before that (That’s the only line I can remember off the top of my head).

- Upon further fiddling, I watched the Diagnostic LEDs, and they would go to the "VGA Detected" (One light remaining) then restart.

- I went into the BIOS and set everything to "Default/optimized settings", and it still would reset at the same place.

- I went into the BIOS again and set the CPU multiplier to 4x as apposed to the auto value set by choosing "Default/Optimized Settings", the system starts up fine this way.

- I then came here; I unplugged the fan from the board straight into the PSU, fixed nothing.

- I pulled out the board, removed the VC-RE fan and modified the fins so my graphics card could fit in the first PCI-e slot, fixed nothing. I also twilled the BIOS to everything to the lowest setting or "Auto", the only thing that causes issues is when I adjust the CPU Speed.

- I seem to be leaning toward it being a PSU issue because the system boots up fine when having the CPU run at its slowest speed. If the board or other components got damaged in some way I would think the system would not boot up at all.

Sorry for the long recap. I'm just making sure everything is cleared up on what all I have done to it so far, and what the issue is.