About to overclock my fx57 and....

First of all, I am new to AMD processors so I dont know what the he*ll im doing.

So Im reading the Overclocking guide (pdf) and Im at the step where Im supposed to download SuperPI and OCCT.

Both links are dead in the guide and cant get either one of the software.

Can I use something else to replace them? (ps I dont even know what these programs do yet.)

Can't you spend 2 seconds and google "super pi" or "occt" ???

Sorry to be an butt, but if your not willing to spend 2 seconds googling something I honestly don't know if you have the patience to deal with all overclocking struggles. Your fsb is what you will adjust when you overclock. Best of luck

-BFG

Guest Darkslayer
You wont be able to overclock a fx-57 much anyway.. Its already going pretty fast by default.

maybe 100-300mhz tops.

Ya, no kidding. I overclocked an FX-57 for someone once, and was sad at my lack of success. I managed to get it to 3.1ghz or so (if I remember right). It was on a Asus A8N32-SLI so that might have limited me a tad, but still...

And it was extremely hot too. Wouldn't be surprised if the overclock had failed by now. But he wanted to keep it OCed so whatever... :rolleyes:

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I realy just wanted to get it to 3000 mhz. I've accomplished that with the help of the OC guide.

Biggest hurdle was my valueram, which is the only thing stopping me from ocing more.

Once I got the right timings (3-3-3-8) running at 1/01 ratio (200 mhz), I was able to figure out the rest via the guide.

I have my fsb set at 217, multiplier at 14. 1.5volts.

When I get to 220, the ram gets real flaky, but at 217 I got through 10 passes of memtest with zero errors.

Running prime now and Ill know if everything is cool when I get home.

I ran superpi and it seemed fine.

While I was there(at work now), the prime had my temps 44-50 which is fine.

One thing I'm curious about is the software that comes with the MOBO to detece temps (forget its name) has it idling around 30, but in bios, cpu temp reads a steady 38c.

Anything to be concerned about?

Right now, on stock sooling, my cpu is idling at around 28-33C.

Guest Darkslayer

I'd think that as long as the core temp stays under under 55c, u should be fine. The temps you are reading off there are probably the internal heatspreader temp.

Example:

My Opty 165 is idling right now @ 31c, but my core temp is floating between 36 and 37c. Under load, the numbers become 42c, with the core near or slightly over 50c.

FX57 isnt a chip i would personally go for. Dont u think a better choice would have been to buy a dual core opty 165 and some better ram in a dual channel kit...the 4 sticks will cause probs for a start, and then there's the value bit :/

Probably would have been cheaper for an opty 165 and mushkin redline 4000s or equiv and ud have a much quicker system.

CPU isnt 100% idle in bios

FX57 isnt a chip i would personally go for. Dont u think a better choice would have been to buy a dual core opty 165 and some better ram in a dual channel kit...

No not realy. The better choice would have been the duo's which are stomping amd right now and it doesnt look like they are going to let up.

I had alot of the equipement from before, so doing this would have cost alot more. Would have had to get new ram and a new mother board.

I did get lucky tho. The ram is working just fine in dual channel and is very stable. I didnt expect to get 3050 mhz with it to begin with so I lucked out a bit.

I'd think that as long as the core temp stays under under 55c, u should be fine. The temps you are reading off there are probably the internal heatspreader temp.

Example:

My Opty 165 is idling right now @ 31c, but my core temp is floating between 36 and 37c. Under load, the numbers become 42c, with the core near or slightly over 50c.

Thanks for the reply.