System hang/lock at post screen.

Hello everyone,

I have just recently picked up a DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200 to go with a bunch of other new upgrades to my system. For some reason my system will randomly either hang for 10-20 secs after listing the processor on the post screen or lock up entirely not showing anything other than the processor listing. If it hangs on the post screen the memory info and drive listing pops up after 10-20 secs and in most cases after loading the drives, before continuing to load windows it will say at the bottom of the screen that the Boot Priority has changed and it requires me to press F1 to continue. Whether it locks up entirely or hangs for a short period it always gives the error code "20" on my digital read out on my motherboard... which according to my manual is a HDD initialization error.

I've been dealing with this problem for the past 3 weeks. My first thoughts were that the mobo or processor were bad, so I RMA'ed them, got the new ones and the same thing was happening. Updated the Bios to 7/28/2006 which on the DFI site is the most current and the problem still persisted. Tried 3 different types of RAM and 2 hard drives (1 being my normal SATA drive, the other being an extra IDE drive I had laying around) and still no change, and I've tried 3 different PSUs with no change.

Any clues as to what else it could possibly be?

Oh and on a side note, I brought my Comp Box with me to work 3 different times in total to have a friend take a look at it, and I could never get it to do the boot problem while at work. The only things that changed between my home and my work were the power socket, keyboard/mouse and monitor. I tried running an extension cable to another part of my house that is on another circuit and the problem occurred, swapped out keyboard/mouse and the problem still occurred, and lastly I tried switching my monitor from DVI to AGP. When I switched the cable type from the digital to analog the problem stopped occurring for about 4 or 5 days at my home, then just yesterday it began again.

At this point i've tried so many things I really have no idea what it could be anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs included in sig.

Also one thing I forgot to say was once you get past the post screen and into windows it doesn't seem to have any problems at all. Works just like it should.

This thread really needs to be posted under the ATI Chipset thread.

If you are going to trouble shoot your motherboard, I would first find out if it will post with out the hard drives attached and the sound card installed. Then you can see if you are having an issue with either or those.

Then make sure you know what you memory settings should be and run memtest in the genie bios to find out if you are getting any errors. If everything runs out ok with no errors or delays, then most likely the motherboard settings and/or memory settings are ok.

We sort of need to know which sata port your hard drive is attached to.

It also would be good to know if you did a clean windows install to start with, or if you just moved a hard drive with windows from another machine over to the CFX 3200?

The sound card and telephone modems are usually the last things I ever install in a computer, just to make sure I have everything running correctly. I make sure I have the latest drivers downloaded from creative when I install one of their sound cards.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Thanks for the reply Jason ill try out your first suggestion when I get home.

As far as the memory settings go I'm not sure what all to change in the geniebios menu, because there are about 15 different things you can change so I left them as the default. Where can I find out exactly what they would need to be? The manufacturer only says the ram was tested at 2.75v and 2-3-3-6 latency.

The hard drive normally runs on SATA port 1, but I've tried it on other SATA ports and the same problem occurs. Also, I did a fresh install of windows on this drive before using it.

The only other thing is I installed the drivers for my sound card off of the disk the card came with.

Chris

Guest Warlock

Are you running *ANY* IDE devices, if so check that they are set right in regards to their position on the IDE cable.

Also you might want to disable the Floppy Disk Controller in BIOS, and disable floppy seek too.

Yeah im running 2 disk drives on the Primary IDE channel as Master and Slave. When they list at post they're in the proper order.

I don't use a floppy drive anymore so I always keep Floppy controller turned off.

On a side note, I was trolling through the ATI chipset forums of which I didn't see when I posted this in the first place :confused:, and one thing I saw in there was someone saying something about slotting your memory in slots 2 and 4 for duel channel. I've always done it in 1 & 3... could this be my problem? I'm gonna swap them over to 2 & 4 when I get home today.

Guest Warlock

That can be a problem, but generally the machine won't boot at all if it is a problem. It can't do any harm using 2 & 4.

Also ... as much as the IDE's appear in the right order, if the jumpers are set to CS it requires more work for the IDE controller to find them and assess the correct order. Make sure that the end of the cable is set to Primary(Master) and the middle is set to Slave.

Guest Warlock

Something else as well .... If you have a CD-ROM ... go visit Memtest86 and download and burn the ISO, then boot off the CD and run the tests ... see if your memory is clean.

Disconnect the IDE cables from the motherboard and boot then .... any better ? ...

Yeah the IDE cable is hooked up in that order. Primary drive on the end... slave in the middle.

I've already burned the memtest disc and tested it a week or so ago and my memory passed all the tests.

I've tried booting the system with no CD drives connected or any IDE device for that matter and the problem still occurs.

This is the post I saw in regards to the memory slot 2 & 4 thing.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72876

Something else as well .... If you have a CD-ROM ... go visit Memtest86 and download and burn the ISO, then boot off the CD and run the tests ... see if your memory is clean.

Disconnect the IDE cables from the motherboard and boot then .... any better ? ...

He does not need to burn a CD for memtest. On this board, Memtest is built into the Genie Bios. All he has to do is enter the bios, go to the Genie Bios setting tab, and scroll down to memtest and enable it.

If he does as I have suggested, and goes into the genie bios to setup his memory timings and voltage and disconnects all drivers and pulls his sound card, he will be at a good starting place.

Jason

Yeah the IDE cable is hooked up in that order. Primary drive on the end... slave in the middle.

I've already burned the memtest disc and tested it a week or so ago and my memory passed all the tests.

I've tried booting the system with no CD drives connected or any IDE device for that matter and the problem still occurs.

This is the post I saw in regards to the memory slot 2 & 4 thing.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72876

On this motherboard, you need to put 1 stick of memory in the orange slot furthest away from the CPU to get started. If the board is booting into the bios at that point, you can add the second stick into the second orange slot and work from there.

This is also important. There is a second plug on the motherboard for power located next to the first PCI-E slot. It should be listed in your manual. Make sure you have this plugged in. It will help add stablity to your motherboard.

Here is a link to some Bios screen shots that OCZ Tony put together that will help you get started. Just scroll down to the screen shots, enlarge them, and match up the settings. Keep in mind that your Memory Timing, and Voltage, might be different, and set them accordingly.

http://www.bleedinedgesupport.com/ocz/foru...ead.php?t=20506

Jason

Ok so first thing I do when I get home is swap the memory from sockets 1 & 3 to 2 & 4, and I connected the small power connector next to the PCI-E slot using one of the 4-pin Floppy Power cables from my PSU. Boot it up and it hangs just after listing the processor. Power it down and try again and it does the same thing.

I went ahead and disconnected everything but the video card and RAM from the motherboard and rebooted and made the few voltage changes shown in this link http://www.bleedinedgesupport.com/oc...ad.php?t=20506. Other than the voltage changes I left everything else unchanged from the defaults for the time being. I rebooted about a dozen times with this setup with no problems, so I added my hard drive on and booted 6 to 8 times with no problems. I then added my CDRoms back on and rebooted several times with no problems and lastly added my sound card back on rebooting several times again with no problems.

So it was locking up after I hooked up the extra power connector and swapped the DIMMs around on the memory, and all I do is disconnect everything and slowly reconnect it and its working? Nah im not buying it. I have a feeling it will start doing it again within the next couple days. Its already went from a period of not working to working fine for 3 days straight with me doing nothing at all.

I guess I'll just repost here if it starts doing it again.:sad:

Another thing I wanted to know, is it safe for me to set all the options he has in the screenshots for the DFI GenieBios setup? I say this because I haven't really attempted to overclock for one and secondly I don't want my processor/RAM to be slightly less powerful and burn out because im amping it up to much.

You say I need to use different Voltage and Memory Timing settings. Where do I find these for my RAM? The manufacturers website says nothing other than 2.75v and 2-3-3-6 and they're about 12 different timing options you have to set.

Im using the Corsair XMS TWINX1024-3200C2PT RAM.

Chris