Do I need a new psu to oc further?

granulf

I'm not sure where to post this, but here we go...

Right, so I just measured the 12V rails from my psu during load and idle, and I'm not sure what to think. First up was my 24/7 prime stable oc, 295x9.5(2800mhz) and 1.55V:

Idle: About 11.98V or around there

Load: Flattened out at around 11.86V

I decided to push it a little further, next up is 320x9(2880mhz) and 1.55V + 104.8%:

Idle: about the same, 11.98V or there around

Load: 11.82-11.84 is what I recorded. This oc was NOT stable, either freeze or blue screen after a few minutes.

I did all measurements with my multimeter, it should be fairly accurate :) . I also measured the rail to the graphics card, and it was about the same, 11.86V. I think the gfx maybe very easily overclocked, I can reach 2200mhz on memory without upping volt and stock cooling(appears to be artifact free), but core quickly craps out(freezes during load). At this point I don't know if it has got to do with PSU or cooling, but I WILL get a water block asap.

A bit long post, but what do you guys reckon? Am I limited by my psu?(overclocking wise)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't mention what your memory divider was. But when you changed the multiplier from 9.5 to 9, if the divider was left untouched, the memory speed went up tremendously. 0.5 multipliers mess with memory speed. That's one of the reason users are cautioned against using them.

You don't mention what your memory divider was. But when you changed the multiplier from 9.5 to 9, if the divider was left untouched, the memory speed went up tremendously. 0.5 multipliers mess with memory speed. That's one of the reason users are cautioned against using them.

Same divider(140mhz), but I slacked the timings. When running 320x9 the memory is running at 221mhz timings 2.5-3-2-6, which I have previously tested to be 100% stable. At 295x9.5 the memory is running at 200mhz 2-3-2-5(stock)

I would think that with the video card you have, your PSU is grunting to get the job done. I believe they say that it requires 300W.

DFI boards are known to require a minimum of 480W, so you are at the bottom of the scale.

You should assure that you have all four of the connections completed that are required. If they are not, then making them will give you some relief.

I would think that with the video card you have, your PSU is grunting to get the job done. I believe they say that it requires 300W.

DFI boards are known to require a minimum of 480W, so you are at the bottom of the scale.

You should assure that you have all four of the connections completed that are required. If they are not, then making them will give you some relief.

Four? As far as I'm aware of, my expert only has two: ATX 24 pin on the 8 pin thingy :P

Four? As far as I'm aware of, my expert only has two: ATX 24 pin on the 8 pin thingy :P

The power supply could definitely be a problem. And besides the two psu connectors you mention, the Expert also requires the 4 pin floppy connector to be plugged in.

Without question a good tough PSU will help you clock higher.

I know this because my Fortron unit allowed me to break 3ghz with my 4400+ while my old Hiper unit could not get me past 2.9 and the hot air billowing out the back of the power supply was enough for me to toss it and get a good one.

I try and tell folks that power supply is most important piece of hardware in a DFI build.

Some listen, others don't.

C'est la vie.:)

The power supply could definitely be a problem. And besides the two psu connectors you mention, the Expert also requires the 4 pin floppy connector to be plugged in.

What, is there a floppy connector??? :confused: How could I have missed that, I've been working with it for almost a year :eek:

*searching for pics*

Could you post me a pic with it marked out, I can't find it??

the 4 pin floppy connector is right above the 1st PCI Express slot( video card).

Picture is a bit blurry though, sorry.

floppy connector

Ahh, thanks, I believe I saw that once and thought it was some weird fan connector :sweat: . Long time since the floppy days :)

I'll test it right away!