Which 2x1gb DDR400 kit?

Xmas is about here and I am doing a few final upgrades on my s939 rs482 Infinity board before focusing on some future build, one being a 2x1gb DDR kit, and have settled on 2 possibilities. One is OCZ performance gold CAS 3 kit for $215 from the egg, and the Other is Gskill kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231032 also from the egg, but CAS 2. Both are within my budget and both have shown to be compatible with my particular board. The OCZ kit has been reviewed as being pretty overclockable; can't find as much info on the Gskill other than compatability. My system is 24/7 clocked at 300 FSB I forget what divider I am running atm but it has been very stable so Gskill has earned my trust; would the CAS 2 kit give me that much better performance or would the looser timed OCZ clocked higher be better? I am unsure which way to go so any advice would really be appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timings do not matter in A64 systems due to the on-chip memory controller.

DDR400/PC3200 RAM is also not recommended for use with Opteron 165s due to its low multiplier of 9. PC4000 is usually recommended for use with an Opteron 165.

Cant swing the price for pc4000, and I thought timings did make a difference, I used timing adjustments from what others did from the OCDB and I got a big hit in performance versus leaving them on auto. Either way I need more ram for another system and I would like to get a little headroom for Vista. My Gskill 2x512mb kit runs at 414mhz in dual channel although not ideal does ok for gaming and whatnot, with a divider at 1t though.

Cant swing the price for pc4000, and I thought timings did make a difference, I used timing adjustments from what others did from the OCDB and I got a big hit in performance versus leaving them on auto. Either way I need more ram for another system and I would like to get a little headroom for Vista. My Gskill 2x512mb kit runs at 414mhz in dual channel although not ideal does ok for gaming and whatnot, with a divider at 1t though.

They may make a little difference, but not as much as they did back in the AXP days.

And 1T is not a divider, it is the command rate :P

I am sorry I thought that was implied, "with a divider at 1t though" (3/2 which was in my sig i forgot, which i didn't post). Look I just want the most cpu mhz as possble which I can only achieve with ram that can get closest to your pc4000 at my budget so in a way you did help me with my descicion, I think I will go with OCZ. DDR seems to be drying up in the higher 2x1gb amounts in any affordable price range and at a certain point it makes more sense to start from scratch. I know i don't know it all but i new enough to get me to 2845mhz prime stable and that made me happy, and if the newer ram can get me a little more that will make me happy to. Why did you even bother to post if all you wanted to do was ridicule and condescend? I already read the guides and found the info I wanted to know here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178 . I just wanted to know what was the best choice from my list in my budget for my particular uses; if you have something better in my price range I am all ears.:eek2:

I am sorry I thought that was implied, "with a divider at 1t though" (3/2 which was in my sig i forgot, which i didn't post). Look I just want the most cpu mhz as possble which I can only achieve with ram that can get closest to your pc4000 at my budget so in a way you did help me with my descicion, I think I will go with OCZ. DDR seems to be drying up in the higher 2x1gb amounts in any affordable price range and at a certain point it makes more sense to start from scratch. I know i don't know it all but i new enough to get me to 2845mhz prime stable and that made me happy, and if the newer ram can get me a little more that will make me happy to. Why did you even bother to post if all you wanted to do was ridicule and condescend? I already read the guides and found the info I wanted to know here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178 . I just wanted to know what was the best choice from my list in my budget for my particular uses; if you have something better in my price range I am all ears.:eek2:

I didn't come here to say you were stupid or anything like that if that's what you thought.

Pick the OCZ for all I care. If all I can do is ridicule and condescent, obviously I can't help at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using 2x1GB sticks of G. Skill HZ DDR 500 in my RS482. They seem to work well. They are also overclockable.

I had them in my CFX3200 board and was able to push them to about 570 just pushing the bus. I am sure they might go higher if I go back and use a divider.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LookBackX2
Thats more like it, thank you. Obviously if I could find a 2x1gb DDR500 kit at 215 bucks i would have bothered posting at all (Finally he sees the Light!!).:nod:

I have been very happy with my TeamGroup Xtreme Cronus ddr500. Right now I am running them 1:1 with 268fsb. I am pretty sure they've got more in 'em too!

Tankguys is the only place I know of to get them in the U.S. and they are about $50 cheaper than all the options on Newegg. I think 219-229 plus shipping.

(my sig has not been updated, proc=Opty 170, CCBBE 0615EPMW; Mem=TeamGroup Cronus ddr500)

I have been very happy with my TeamGroup Xtreme Cronus ddr500. Right now I am running them 1:1 with 268fsb. I am pretty sure they've got more in 'em too!

Tankguys is the only place I know of to get them in the U.S. and they are about $50 cheaper than all the options on Newegg. I think 219-229 plus shipping.

(my sig has not been updated, proc=Opty 170, CCBBE 0615EPMW; Mem=TeamGroup Cronus ddr500)

Thanks for the reply i hadn't had a chance to look at it till after the forums came back up, I ended up going with Crucial ballistix DDR500 2x1gb kit, still have to use a divider though. Got up to 2.8+ with the stable crucial so I am happy. I am getting an Opty 170 and an Asus A8R32 and building a CF system. Hoping to get it running with 1:1 with the higher multi on the 170. I am sticking with s939 simply because its cheaper and i still have alot of DDR memory lying around; going to put the Ballistix in that and my Gskill 2x512mb back in my DFI board. I wish I had seen the reply before I got the Ballistix as they are definately a better deal but maybe I will get it later if its still around. I am going to stick with 939 till quad is all matured and Vista has been around awhile.

Guest LookBackX2

From all I've read, those Crucial modules(w/UCCC?) compare fairly well with the TeamGroup w/Micron IC's. Accually I got the feeling that they aren't quite as picky about secondary timings.

I've been able to get to 266fsb 1:1, but had to use the 180/200 mem ratio to take it any higher. Right now it's at home priming @ 2750 1.29 vCore. Already past 12hours, going for 24. Keep your progress posted here for your new Opty when ya get it. If you don't mind. Good luck w/your new rig.

Will do, love those s939 Optys's even a CCBWE 0551 I had would do 2.7 but i sold it to try for a golden stepping and when I got it it was all that everyone says they are, even if i couldn't hit 3ghz. The 170 will sit nicely with my 165, my wife will end up with it in the DFI rig and she doesn't know the quality of what she's getting.