Want to drop in Opty 165 but keep RAM

marcopolo

Should I just drop in the opty 165 at 2.5GHz then?

I am sitting at 1.425v is this o.k. for the new opty 165 @ 2.5GHz?

WHat about divider4s, I heard the opty doesn't like them much?

Many thanks.

Forgot bios 6-23 (2005) ok?

I won't comment on the memory speed - that's probably been covered. My 165 is running at 2.81GHz on 1.344V. Bus is at 312, memory at 255 (5/6). BIOS is 04/06.

Upgrading from a single core (Venice) to the Opty I hit a snag. Instead of the Uniprocessor HAL (which, contrary to it's name, supports both single and dual cores), I had the single processor HAL. When I dropped in the Opty, the BIOS recognized it, the Windows Device Manager recognized it, but I was only running on one core. I had to delete the hal.dll and manually replace it with halaacpi.dll before both cores would run.

I'm told that when you first install XP, the Uniprocessor HAL is loaded by default. In my case it was not. Look at /system32/hal.dll - right click it and see what it's internal name is. Check it against the names at MS support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

If you're using halaacpi.dll, you should be good to go. If you're using halacpi.dll, you can delete it, copy halaacpi into /system32, and rename it hal.dll (this is what I had to do). If you don't feel like doing this then you're probably looking at reloading XP, if the guide above doesn't have any better tips.

Dividers below 150 usually isn't a big deal for a 165 as long as you stay at a low to average overclock. Sub 150 dividers start becoming a problem once you get close to 2900MHz. Even then you have a chance of getting them to work but the secondary timings are so bad it's not worth it.

ANGRY_GAMES if you are reading can we get a sticky guide on going dual core from single. There are various answers to my question which I feel raise other questions. I reckon many more people will be jumping to 2 cores.

I still have some more questions based on the many responses (thanks)

1) Does removing and replacing the hal.dll file with the correct dual core file negate the need to remove the processor driver to start with (as suggested by Tasr) OR must this be done aswell as Tasr doesn't mention this file at all?

2) Is it a simple case of manually swapping this one file or do others need swapped too?

3) What about the small program 'HAL updater' that I found on the web. If i use this instead do I still have to uninstall the driver for the single core proc?

4) Does the latest x2 processor driver also apply to the opty's?

Any help appreciated.