Thermalright Ultra-120 Owners: Work with DFI Lanparty UT nF4?

gwaine

Hey guys...I'm getting this board for Christmas: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939

I was hoping you might answer a couple of questions:

1) I've heard that you need a metal backing on the back of the motherboard for this heatsink. Is this true and/or does this motherboard have one?

2) Can you orient this heatsink to push air out of the back of the case or do I need to buy Thermalright's S adapter to get it to rotate 90 degrees (i.e. does the motherboard force you to orient this heatsink to only blow air up/down rather than out of the back of the case?)?

Thanks very much for your help.

Guest Retratserif

The TR- 120 blows air down towards the motherboard. There is no way around that,. Now your case may have a 120mm fan on the rear for an exhaust or a top fan that blows out, these can help get the air out.

Not too familiar with the AM2 socket as Im an Intel guy right now, I just wanted to say to the other guy... the Ultra 120 doesnt blow air towards the motherboard.

By the looks of the mounting brackets, looks like the LGA775 one can be mounted in all directions, while the AM2 one can only be mounted to blow up or down... Like I said before though, Im not too familiar with AM2.

PS - Make a proper sig... you agreed to it in the forum rules.

I just got an ultra-120 and it does not come with mounting hardware for AM2. So you'll need to get some.

I'm not sure about the S-bracket, but you'll have to have the heatpipes not facing the mounting holes if you don't have one iirc so I'm not sure how that works on the board.