Need help overclocking CCBWE

NuclearCrap

Hi, I'm new to the forums and to DFI. According to one of the guides here, there's no best BIOS but only a best BIOS for certain setups. So what do you you guys think would be the best BIOS for my rig?

I'm currently running a 166 divider on my memory at 2-3-3-6 CR1 timing. CPU speed is at 250 x9 = 2250Mhz. I wanna try 300 x9 = 2700Mhz myself on a good BIOS, and I'll update this thread if I run into any problems.

Anyway, my DFI manual says that I need a floppy drive to save my BIOS on so I can flash it, but is there any other way to flash it like through software?

Any help appreciated. :)

just use the latest bios, as no bios is best for everyone.. just try different ones and see which one likes you best. to flash your board download and burn TMods bios utility cd located here.

other than that,.. it's all about trial and error. follow the Overclocking guide and search the OCDB entries looking for others with similar hardware as yours just to give you ideas on settings etc..

good luck.

FYI that stepping will probably not make it pass 2.7 @ 1.5v

just use the latest bios, as no bios is best for everyone.. just try different ones and see which one likes you best. to flash your board download and burn TMods bios utility cd located here.

other than that,.. it's all about trial and error. follow the Overclocking guide and search the OCDB entries looking for others with similar hardware as yours just to give you ideas on settings etc..

good luck.

FYI that stepping will probably not make it pass 2.7 @ 1.5v

Thanks, I'm hoping to hit 2.8Ghz on 1.6V or 1.65V. :P

depends on his cooling,.. but 1.65v is definally at the edge for those procs.

I wouldn't go pass 1.62v

Yeah my Scythe Infinity is doing really great, it only went to 29C on stock 1.35V in Orthos, both cores fully loaded at 2250Mhz. I'm expecting 1.6V to stay under 40C under Orthos. :)

Like "Likewhoa" said depends on cooling. (And luck)The better the cooling the more mhz's you can get at lower voltages. Plus you'll be abit safer at higher voltages. Also massive voltage increases will be more usable. Cooler usually is better .(Not allways on some processors Cold bug)

Edit: I myself don't like idea of running much over 1.50-1.55 for 24/7.

Yeah my Scythe Infinity is doing really great, it only went to 29C on stock 1.35V in Orthos, both cores fully loaded at 2250Mhz. I'm expecting 1.6V to stay under 40C under Orthos. :)

I think you will realize than on Air you will not be able to have good temps with voltages over 1.55v, which will give you high temps >50C but not >65C

so if you looking to go over 1.6v+ you should really look into Water Cooling, Phase Cooling, TEC, or Extreme cooling DICE,LN2 etc..

So out of all these, which one's recommended? I don't trust Betas that much but if you guys say it's stable then might as well give it a try.

expertmenu.jpg

I think you will realize than on Air you will not be able to have good temps with voltages over 1.55v, which will give you high temps >50C but not >65C

so if you looking to go over 1.6v+ you should really look into Water Cooling, Phase Cooling, TEC, or Extreme cooling DICE,LN2 etc..

I tried 1.55V and it only takes me to the mid-30's in Orthos. Scythe is very close to water cooling, and it's just as good with a powerful fan like my Silverstone. :)

I tried 1.55V and it only takes me to the mid-30's in Orthos. Scythe is very close to water cooling, and it's just as good with a powerful fan like my Silverstone. :)

Sounds to me like your expert is misreporting your temps...

Your temps sound very close to mine, and while I'm sure the scythe is a great cooler, I'm sure its not as good as my watercooling setup... unless your ambient is ~10c...

What does coretemp report your temps as?

Sounds to me like your expert is misreporting your temps...

Your temps sound very close to mine, and while I'm sure the scythe is a great cooler, I'm sure its not as good as my watercooling setup... unless your ambient is ~10c...

What does coretemp report your temps as?

Great, just because you think water cooling is that much better, you're saying my board has problems. They aren't far apart, partially because my graphics card's water cooled so its heat doesn't affect the CPU at all. I have the Silverstone set to blow from east to west so that the heatsink itself becomes more efficient thanks to the 4-way fan mounting feature, and at the back of the case I use the 120mm that came with the Scythe for exhaust. Idling in the BIOS I get 19C with lowest fan speed with newly seated AS5. I always aim for the "cheap yet almost as good as expensive stuffs" solution. :cool: