Problems with 333 memory speed/divider?

Hi all,

I spent some time (patiently) working on overclocking the rig in my sig below this weekend and ran into a disturbing problem. While I have gotten as high as I want to with aircooling (2.4Ghz 11x220HTT) for now, I was wondering about a problem I ran across with the memory dividers. 200 works, 400 works (at 404Mhz now), but when I select the 333 divider, I fail to even post and have to clear the BIOS to reboot.

Any suggestions? Anyone else experience this?

I would like to go higher in the future, but I am not going to get there on aircooling...maybe watercooling is in my future for tax time. But once the temps are under control, I dont think the RAM I have will handle much over 400Mhz.

Also, if I understand correctly, on this BIOS, the speed of the RAM as set at 400 would mean a FSB divider of 5, correct? So 333 should be a divider of 6? Am I right? Wrong? Insane? Stupid? ;)

I cannot give a definite answer about the system not posting when you set the dividers to 333 since I have this problem at certain HTT and divider but under 260HTT I can use any divider no problem. It could be either I'm guessing the memory itself or the memory controller, also check the vdimm voltages.

As for the dividers itself I can answer that by checking out the link in my signature, its a chart of all the divider number used at a certain memory divider speed and cpu multiplier. With a multiplier of 11 and using a 800Mhz divider the number is 6 while if you set it to 667Mhz it will be 7.

The VDIMM voltage is set to what I could find on the Corsair PDF for my RAM, which is (off of the top of my head) either 1.9 or 1.95. Seems low to me, but that is what it said.

I hope it isn't the RAM or the memory controller, I would hate to have to pull this system apart again now that I have it running.

I should talk to Corsair to get some definitive answers, but I have a coupel months before I look at overclocking it further.

I was able to get close to 2.6 pretty easy with the RAM divider set to 200, but the temps during prime95 and SuperPi were too close to 60 for my comfort level.

I really wish I had spare parts to swap and see whats the problem but I don't. :(

Try raising your voltage up more since theres so many posts and its not just DFI but ASUS and Gigabyte etc also you need to put some more juice for some to even run at stock speeds. Before I started tweaking my memory timings I set my vdimm at 2.07v at stock speeds and I only had to raise it up to 2.10v after tighting my timings to 4-4-5-15 1T but I guess that just ment I gave it to much juice for stock settings but it didn't hurt.

I tend to o/c on the weekends when I have time to watch movies while memtest or whatever runs, so I will try pushing the voltages up to see if I can get past the failure to post on the 333 setting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

p.s. I am getting a severe jones to watercool. ;)