Random Crashing

As was said already a few post back afore the new PSU ;) new cpu = new mem controller, have you tried different settings????

A quick search in the SSDB finds these.....

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1222775

Try some of the settings for memory thats in those threads and see if you can get some stability...

Logan

I ran memtest again and it came up with errors on test number 7. I removed one of the ram sticks and tried memtest again and that one stick passed so I booted into windows with it and tried playing games. I haven't run into any bsods yet. I have yet to run memtest on the other stick, but I am assuming it would fail or I would be really confused. It's looking like I need new ram.

I ran memtest again and it came up with errors on test number 7. I removed one of the ram sticks and tried memtest again and that one stick passed so I booted into windows with it and tried playing games. I haven't run into any bsods yet. I have yet to run memtest on the other stick, but I am assuming it would fail or I would be really confused. It's looking like I need new ram.

Go into GENIE BIOS. check your DRAM Voltage. Make sure that the enable +.32 volts is enabled. Run Memtest again on the stick that failed. If fail, bump voltage up a tad more and rerun Memtest Let us know how it goes. If it passes then put in the other stick as well and run memtest again. :)

EDIT: your DRAM can take 2.55V-2.95V (and still stay in warranty)

from what I have read, you might have to take your DRAM Volts up to 2.9V, but lower..we just want to get your sticks stable for now and you can play with them later.

Go into GENIE BIOS. check your DRAM Voltage. Make sure that the enable +.32 volts is enabled. Run Memtest again on the stick that failed. If fail, bump voltage up a tad more and rerun Memtest Let us know how it goes. If it passes then put in the other stick as well and run memtest again. :)

EDIT: your DRAM can take 2.55V-2.95V (and still stay in warranty)

from what I have read, you might have to take your DRAM Volts up to 2.9V, but lower..we just want to get your sticks stable for now and you can play with them later.

When I tried changing the memory voltage to 2.9 it reduced the number of errors from 35,000+ to just 6 on test #7. That was with both sticks in. With just one stick in, no errors come up. I guess I will have to order new memory.

Alright, here's an update. Bomber's computer is being finicky, so I'm posting on his behalf.

Well, he bought some new ram (G.SKILL F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS). Lots of you guys use it, and it shouldn't have any issues with the Ultra-D. Right now, it's running at stock speeds. It's running at 2.7V right now (stock is 2.6V).

He got the stuff today and was able to play games for several hours. He ran the SP2004 Orthos blend test for 2 hours, and it passed without error. He played CS:S for ~30 mins and the Supreme Commander beta for ~30 mins. He didn't have any problems.

He went to go do homework, and when he came back, the classic page fault blue screen was up. Now, memtest fails on test 1 pretty much instantly with thousands of errors.

What in the world is going on? It's not the psu. It's not the ram (we're gonna make sure tomorrow - I'm gonna put it in my system to test). What could it be? I'm starting the think the mobo is dying/dead. Do you guys have any idea?

[edit]

Running 1 stick seems to be working. 1 stick is passing memtest just fine, but as soon as the 2nd stick is thrown into the mix for dual channel, all hell breaks loose. I'm really starting to think it's the mobo. How long is DFI's warranty?

Dude, right up the top someone asked you to post your settings. Are you running everything on auto? These boards do like like Auto settings. Most likely, you'll need to adjust them to get stable.

For your new RAM, settings should look similar to the following:

DRAM FREQUENCY SET: 200 (1:1)

COMMAND PER CLOCK: ENABLE (1T)

CAS: 2.5

TRCD: 3

TRAS: 5

TRP: 3

TRC: 7

TRFC: 17

TRRD: 2

TER: 2

TWTR: 2

TRWT: 3

TREF: 3684

TWCL: 1

DRAM BANK INTERLEAVE: ENABLE

DQS SKEW CONTROL: AUTO

DQS SKEW VALUE: 0

DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH: 7 (OR BEST VALUE FOR YOUR SYSTEM)

DARM DATE DRIVE STRENGTH: 3 (OR BEST VALUE FOR YOUR SYSTEM)

MAX ASYNC LATENCY: 7~8NS

DARM RESPONSE: NORMAL

READ PREAMBLE TIME: 5NS

IDLECYCLE LIMIT: 256

DYNAMIC COUNTER: ENABLE

R/W QUEUE BYPASS:16

BYPASS MAX: 7

32 BYTE GRANULARITY: DISABLE

He went to go do homework, and when he came back, the classic page fault blue screen was up. Now, memtest fails on test 1 pretty much instantly with thousands of errors.

Blue screens = memory settings not set correctly, or not enough volts.......

As Ganders said, post your mem timings and try out the memory timings he listed......

Logan

Why will one stick of RAM work on optimized defaults and the other won't? Both RAM sticks were working great for about 5 hours. I am afraid if I return this RAM and get another set, the same thing will happen again. This is the second set of RAM I have had gone bad. How can I know for sure it isn't the mother board?

My friend is having a very similar problem. I just helped him upgrade his BIOS and now I don't think he can boot up. from a cold boot.. We thought it was his video card that kept crashing Carbon and Counter-Strike: Source... If I find a solution i'll post some more info. Good Luck!

I'll be the bad guy here please as per the rules you agreed when you joined make a proper sig thanks

Dude, right up the top someone asked you to post your settings. Are you running everything on auto? These boards do like like Auto settings. Most likely, you'll need to adjust them to get stable.

For your new RAM, settings should look similar to the following:

DRAM FREQUENCY SET: 200 (1:1)
COMMAND PER CLOCK: ENABLE (1T)
CAS: 2.5
TRCD: 3
TRAS: 5
TRP: 3
TRC: 7
TRFC: 17
TRRD: 2
TER: 2
TWTR: 2
TRWT: 3
TREF: 3684
TWCL: 1
DRAM BANK INTERLEAVE: ENABLE

DQS SKEW CONTROL: AUTO
DQS SKEW VALUE: 0
DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH: 7 (OR BEST VALUE FOR YOUR SYSTEM)
DARM DATE DRIVE STRENGTH: 3 (OR BEST VALUE FOR YOUR SYSTEM)
MAX ASYNC LATENCY: 7~8NS
DARM RESPONSE: NORMAL
READ PREAMBLE TIME: 5NS
IDLECYCLE LIMIT: 256
DYNAMIC COUNTER: ENABLE
R/W QUEUE BYPASS:16
BYPASS MAX: 7
32 BYTE GRANULARITY: DISABLE

Right above your post, I noted that everything is running at stock speeds (aka at 200mhz 2.5-3-3-6-1T) at 2.7V. Everything is set to auto (went into bios and loaded optimized settings), and auto is correctly recognizing the SPD timings. The only thing about the memory we explicitly changed was the voltage. Stock is 2.6V, so we tried upping it to 2.7V. It's still set there.

We tried relaxing the CAS from 2.5 to 3, but that made no difference. Neither did changing it to 2T. Upping the VMEM doesn't help either.