Initial Opty 1212 OC results!!!

AM2 is great, but I have to say... CPU makes a huge difference in gaming. After I overclocked, I was able to kick up the resolution in FEAR and max out all the quality settings and still get same frames I did before (when it was on medium).

And also, Opteron is a server/workstation product. I don't know why, but AMD only wants server motherboards to support this CPU from now on. It's stupid but whatever.

EDIT: Damnit, I was just wondering to myself why I didn't buy an Opteron... All these great things you hear. At least I got the 2MB of L2 on my Athlon though.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know, my friend's got an Opteron and it freakin' rocks in overclock. I just must've had a complete brain failure not even think about buying an Opteron while I was building my rig. Although, my Athlon went from 2.0 to 2.8 incredibly easy, and it's 8+ hours prime-stable (I shut it down manually). Went to 2.7 without a voltage change.

Next CPU is totally going to be a K8L Opty.

Oh I know, my friend's got an Opteron and it freakin' rocks in overclock. I just must've had a complete brain failure not even think about buying an Opteron while I was building my rig. Although, my Athlon went from 2.0 to 2.8 incredibly easy, and it's 8+ hours prime-stable (I shut it down manually). Went to 2.7 without a voltage change.

Next CPU is totally going to be a K8L Opty.

well if you planning on going opteron, i would look at the opteron 180.

oh damn didn't even notice.. you should have waited for AM3 :D

Am3 processors should work on am2 motherboards as far as i heard becoz AM2 motherboards came out recently and AMD arent going to make their customers buy another MB in 1 year to benefit from AM3 so AM3 shold work with AM2 mobos

Am3 processors should work on am2 motherboards as far as i heard becoz AM2 motherboards came out recently and AMD arent going to make their customers buy another MB in 1 year to benefit from AM3 so AM3 shold work with AM2 mobos

yes but but am2 doesn't have HT3 which is 1000MHz faster :D

btw quad-cores will not run at their full speed on AM2 sockets.

Likewhoa@ Why would you suggest an Opty 180? You could get a 165 for cheaper and it will still probably overclock the same. More bang for your buck!

12x multiplier ofcourse :P

and newegg are shipping the CCBBE steppings, so i say it's a great invested.. higher multiplier = lower HTT = good for subzero runs :P