Help Pls

Hi All, first post so hope it's ok ?.

Problem = having run prime for 6.5 hrs stable, I unfortunately received windows updates, stopped prime, left 5 mins then accepted windows updates, pc the hung (frozen).

Reboot & and now blue screen (bad checksum) ???, anyone got any idea's, had to goto work so had no more time to investigate.

Pc all on latest Nvidia drives as per last night @12am.

Been reading forums looking for idea's, bios is early but from my reading is stable for SLI config, Is it worth me trying the later bios if I can get back into windows, or would anyone suggest me changing any of my memory / cpu settings?

Thanks for any replies, always worth asking people in the know!!!

What kind of PC hang was it? Was it just a grafix hang (ie. still mouse movement, etc), or a hard freeze of everything? Are you in a no boot situation now - ie. can't get back into windows? If so, you'll probably be in for an OS reinstall...

Also, are your raptors in raid of some kind? Could be that one of them has developed an error - be worth testing them to find out.

Hi All, first post so hope it's ok ?.

Problem = having run prime for 6.5 hrs stable, I unfortunately received windows updates, stopped prime, left 5 mins then accepted windows updates, pc the hung (frozen).

Reboot & and now blue screen (bad checksum) ???, anyone got any idea's, had to goto work so had no more time to investigate.

Pc all on latest Nvidia drives as per last night @12am.

Been reading forums looking for idea's, bios is early but from my reading is stable for SLI config, Is it worth me trying the later bios if I can get back into windows, or would anyone suggest me changing any of my memory / cpu settings?

Thanks for any replies, always worth asking people in the know!!!

if your computer won't start in normal mode, reboot your computer, press F8 during the boot process, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. That should get you started.

If your system does boot up, go to system restore and restore to a point before you updated windows.

The error messsage, "incorrect checksum" can easily be caused if you were downloading and were unlucky enough to have done it at a time when the server was "swamped" with requests for files. Every stream of data sent over the internet to client computers (that is your computer) has a "checksum" which is actually a check to ensure that the (sum)precise amount of data requested matches what was actually sent. The checksum is normally invisible to the average user.

Thanks guys for the couple of suggestions, it was a complete freeze, no mouse or keyboard, I'll try last know good config first, as I'm sure it was due to windows update ?. I rebooted whilst they were downloading a few times.

My Raptors are in raid 0 stripped, & all check out ok on my second pc, the windows installation was fresh last night @12am ish, I'll try and save it before I reinstall again !!

Benchmarks were good & pc was very stable before going to bed and running prime over 6.5 hrs.

Just wondered about my bios version, is it worth updating or just cause more issues ?, i surpose I'll never know unless I try it. I heard that the later bios ain't that good for SLI, can anyone confirm this?

Memory timings appear ok, no gfx problems in benchmarks caused by memory & the corsair checks out in memtest 12 hrs+

I'm back home at lunch so I'll try some things then if she lets me !!!!

OK. try a Clear CMOS first. See my SIG for CMOS clear procedure link and follow it precisely. Be sure that you have a PS/2 keyboard connected to the system otherwise you will not be able to interact with the BIOS. Enable USB support for keyboard & mouse. Roll back your overclock to stock. If you have your original (stock) settings saved in CMOS reloaded then load from that bank. I am using 704-2BTA BIOS w/o any problems.

Benchmarks were good & pc was very stable before going to bed and running prime over 6.5 hrs.

Just wondered about my bios version, is it worth updating or just cause more issues ?

I would say no. If you're not the adventurous guy who want to test whatever BIOS you find and have a spare BIOS chipset to replace with, because there's always a minimal risk of something going wrong (like sudden interruption of electricity). You say that the system was working fine and stable, and you also admit to have rebooted whilst you're were downloading updates (if you choose to use the automatic updates let it finish its work); hence I'm pretty sure the problem you have is os-related and not BIOS-related.

He is on an Expert - so the BIOS are different. If you are going to flash, definately use Tmod BIOS CD. It's a much safer and easier way to update your BIOS than either winflash or a floppy.

Any BSOD with a striped array can easily hose your OS. If you are still getting problems with your reboot, then you'll probably have to do a repair/reinstall at least.. If you have a slipstream disk that you can use for a reinstall - it might actually get you around any problems with the windows update?

Update, tried last known config - no go!, tried safe mode - no go!, cleared cmos & reinstalled windows @ lunchtime inc SP2, so when I get home to night here we go again!!!, going to let windows update itself before I apply my OC settings & save the stock bios !!!

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, I'll have to wait & see now whether it was updates that screwed it ?, you think after 6+ hrs of prime & various benchmarks things are pretty good & stable, fingers crossed:)