Would like some help with OC.

bchivers

I have 2X1gb of Team Group XTreem ddr500 3-3-3-8 that I will be putting in another computer for a friend. If I put it in my computer to try it out will any points be deducted from my windows installation(will it count as a hardware change)?

I have read through the OC'ing guides and am having a hard time understanding it, I have had many crashes and the last one my OS became hidden. I think it is still there because I have not done anything to uninstall it and it is listed on the boot screen but there is no boot.ini file anywhere and I can't change the boot order in msconfig but windows can't see it. I had to reinstall Windows on another drive. I would like to test this knew FX 55 with the XTreem ram (not looking for max. OC). Is there a few easy things I can do to get an idea how this cpu and ram will work then if it is good I may buy a kit of the XTreem for myself.

Thanks for all the help.:)

Guest InFeKtioN

Sounds like when your PC crashed .... maybe it rebooted or tryed to reboot or you got a BSOD or just a lock-up !

Either way .... I beleive that your MBR (master boot record) got corrupt .

You have WD HDD's so if you have a WD CD, boot from it and use it to repair your MBR or you can download it from the website (if you have a way to do it). Or try and boot from your Win CD and do a repair. Google for repair commands to repair MBR.

As far as your OC goes ...... you need to get your OS working properly first, then go from there.

note: Changing your RAM should not effect your windows install/activation ....

although, as long as you have a legitimate copy of Windows .... the most it will take is a phone call to re-activate.

Sounds like when your PC crashed .... maybe it rebooted or tryed to reboot or you got a BSOD or just a lock-up !

Either way .... I beleive that your MBR (master boot record) got corrupt .

You have WD HDD's so if you have a WD CD, boot from it and use it to repair your MBR or you can download it from the website (if you have a way to do it). Or try and boot from your Win CD and do a repair. Google for repair commands to repair MBR.

As far as your OC goes ...... you need to get your OS working properly first, then go from there.

note: Changing your RAM should not effect your windows install/activation ....

although, as long as you have a legitimate copy of Windows .... the most it will take is a phone call to re-activate.

I have tried to repair the MBR with the windows cd but didn't know about the WD disk, good tip, thanks.

My OS is working good because I reinstalled it on another drive(and yes it is legit)a Seagate I got from Newegg with the FX 55.

I was worried about the activation because I just activated it the other day and it is an OEM version, not sure how many times they let you reactivate. Thanks for the help.:)

Guest InFeKtioN
I was worried about the activation because I just activated it the other day and it is an OEM version, not sure how many times they let you reactivate. Thanks for the help.

LOL...... yeah, I can dig that !

Dont worry about that tho ...... you can activate it as many time as you need.All it takes is a phone call (24/7) to the phone activation # (privided by the activation screen). I have done this many,many times after a reformat or what not !

once activated .... and you reinstall windows for whatever reason, it will let you over the internet as long as there has been no major hardware change. As far as I personally have seen that changing RAM has not required me to reactivate. Mostly like a Processor, Hdd change ! But even then all you have to do is call !

for the most part it is automated, but I have been transfered to an operator.

And they always ask me if I have installed this copy on any other computers.

I say "no" they they give me the code ! No big deal. I really have done this like 20- 25 times since I purchased my copy when it came out.