(Resolved) Second PCI-E Slot

Guest julvaz_merged

Hello all,

:mad: As I continue to fail to enable SLI in my system, I'm turing to desperate measures. I'd like to test the second PCI-E slot on my Expert board to see if it works. The question is, how can I enable the second PCI-E slot. I'd like to install one of the cards in the second slot to test it. Is it possible at all to do that??? Thanks all in advance:confused:

Ok so do I move this jumper and the second PCI-E slot should work by it self? Is that what you're saying? SLI is already enable all over the system, you name it and is enable there too. I'll try this tonight. I just wnat to be able to test that second slot before RMA'ing the board.

Although, I did that once at the beggining and didn't get an image when windows booted. I used the second PCI-E slot as my video output.

Hello all,

Hey fellows what should I do if I believe that there's not enough power going through the second PCI-E slot?? Can I test or see what kind of voltage is going through the second slot, maybe in BIOS? I trying to find every possibility of why I can't enable SLI in my system. BTW, windows has never detected any of the cards, whether in the first slot or in the second. Any way to cure this so that on a new install windows recognizes a new piece of hardware is in and it needs to install.

Any help is better than none! Thank you all

Go to the Genie section of the BIOS. Find PCI Express Configuration. Change it to 8-4-NC-8 and you're done.

Praz,

Ok bud, if I've already set the BIOS to 8-4-NC-8 and all SLI settings are on and I can't see an image when I connect the card to the second slot, can I assume that the slot is not working? or is not getting power?

This might be a silly question but have you installed the SLI bridge which connects the two cards? Failure to do that would not allow your SLI configuration to work at all. I just checked the manual. The SLI bridge came in your MOBO box. Hope you didn't lose it.

Well fellows,

I think I found a possible cause for not being able to enable SLI. I un-install the bottom card and found that the slot is DAMAGED. Some of the little metal things inside the slot were bent and some missing.

The reason I looked inside the slot with a flashlight is because the fan on the video card makes a very loud noise when I forget to connect the PCI-E power cable to it. I notice that even with the power cable connected the bottom card's fan made the same noise. So, I figure maybe the bottom card is not getting any power for the slot it self. That picked my curiosity to look inside the slot and found that it is in fact damaged.

I RMA'd immediately and got another Expert from Newegg. I got the card today and will test when I get home. I'll post the results.

Thank you all for your responses.

Hello all,

Well my SLI problem is SOLVED:p ; it was the motherboard. After weels of trying to figure out how to enable SLI on my rig, I found that both PCI-E slots were damaged. I looked into the slots with a flashlight to find that some of the metal pieces that make contact with the video card were broken and some even missing on both slots.

I quickly RMA'd the MoBo, got the new one and here are the steps I took to install the system.

1. Installed both cards with the SLI bridge in place
  2. Installed soundcard
  3. CPU
  4. Connected the hardrives
  5. CDROM
  6. DVDROM
  7. FLOPPY
  8. Memory in the orange slots

All this was done on a pre-existing Windows XP-SP2 system. I went into the BIOS and change all the settings to what I originally had. Boot the system and BAAAMMMM! I NOW HAVE SLI, as simple as that.

No offense to anyone, but I didn't have to use a guide, I knew it. It shouldn't be this difficult to install a piece of hardware and make it work. I let my system setup with all drivers installed before I installed the new MoBo, so when the system booted up it just recognized everything and SLI was BORN. I'm so happy right now that I'm going to logon to BF2 and kill some people.

Thank you so much to all the folks that responded to my posts and to folks like RGone :angel: and Praz:angel: who are willing to share their knowledge to help people like my self. I appreaciate you guys, some day I'll grow up to be like you.

Thank you:)