AArgh! RMA woes continue!

Guest Kobalt_merged

Finally got my 2nd RMA board in, set it all up, and it POSTed! ( I noticed that the AMBER LEDs were really, really dim though). Set up BIOS to what I want, and do some power on/off tests. (This was the main issue I had with the old board, on some powerups, it would get *right* before the 'verifying DMI pool' and reboot). Finally, this is looking good! I then run memtest and it passes just fine. I then boot into windows, all looks well. I power down system, and noticed that the RAM LED goes off. I don't recall it doing that on the old board, thought it was strange, so I hit the power button. Nadda!

(argh!)

I then hit the power button on the mobo itself. Still nadda!

OK, I am confused at this point. I unplug the PSU. Wait 10 mins, fire it up. Hmm, still no RAM LED on. Both power buttons don't work.

(arrrgh!!)

OK, do a CMOS clear. does no good.

Unplug it longer, and do a longer CMOS clear.

Still won't even power on. The RAM LED refuses to turn on. The other yellow LED is dim, not like my first board, where it was bright.

Quadruple check everything, no HDs, just bare bone system with RAM & CPU, still won't turn on, !@#@! RAM LED is still off.

(Arrrrrgggghh!)

Ok, I boot up this system. Find these forums again, and go searching.

I see some other people had the mysterious RAM LED issue, but his problem 'went away'...

Get this, as I am writing this, I glance over at the Ultra-D, and noticed the RAM LED is lit now! I hit power button... it POSTS! It is in windows now as I speak!

**WTH!?!?!?

Gonna try the Ultra-D system now, will update this in a bit.

In the meantime, any ideas why it was doing this?

**EDIT, well, ran DC prime95 & 3dmark06 in loop, and it is stable, in this very short test.

Going to power off system now... will update in a bit again.

**EDIT2 SOB! I shutdown from windows. RAM LED goes off and then I hit power button.. Nadda!

Still can't get it to turn on, let alone POST.

Anyone got ideas WTH is going on? My original board never had anything like these types of problems! The Rev. A0 board that was first shipped to me wouldn't even POST, it had the DRAM ERROR beeps. I figured it was because the newer revision (AD0) had better compatability with my RAM. This is the AD0 I was sent having this problem now.

I know that DFI would test these boards before sending them out on RMA service...so that leaves my components.

Though, all the stuff listed in my .sig DOES work 100% stable once my original board POSTs.

Dunno what to do now. :(

I just mention psu as from your first post its like the mobo is gradually getting power ie the ram led eventually lighting, and then the shutdowns and no starts sounds like cold boots......= psu. I might be way off base, just a thought.

Logan

Hmm, I would tend to agree, but then why would it work fine on my original Ultra-D? It always booted with that board--It just sometimes didn't find the SATA drives, and also had the annoying habit of rebooting JUST before the 'verifying DMI pool' line...

Kinda stuck now. My options is to buy another PSU. See if it will solve the problem. If not, then what, RMA again? I don't think DFI would like that, nor would I. That would also mean $30 down the drain.

If I get a PSU, and that isn't the problem, then I am stuck with a PSU I don't need.

I guess my other option is to keep using my old board, and send back the 2nd RMA board, and just call it quits, and live with the quirks of my original Ultra-D. If I never turn that one off, then it is 100% rock stable. (As I guess this one is also, but not beeing able to boot at all sure does suck!!)

**edit, still nothing on the other board.

I just know if I stick my old board back in, that it at least will boot up.

--What to do...what to do.... Hmmmmm

I just noticed this, the case power LED is on now for some reason... Kinda like it thinks it is in stand-by mode in windows??

I need to do some projects tomorrow--today I mean, so it looks like I am going to have to swap boards out again, and see what it does with my original board.

Wish me luck! :)

If anyone else has any ideas I can try, I am all ears.

Strange thing is, the new board worked *fine* for those first few tests--other than the RAM LED being much dimmer than what I recall with my original board.

I think I will test the PSU with a DMM before I stick it back on my old board just in case.

If this Antec died on me, I will be pissed. Yeah, it is under warranty, but that don't help me now if that is the problem.

!@#!#!@#!@#!@##!!!!

OK, this bites. Antec. Aargh.

Now need to get a new PSU fast, so that means I have to get it from TigerDirect. (Ugh--though they are close, and ship within 1 day).

Should I get a 700 OCZ gameXstream for $100 AR http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...4&sku=O261-2005

or or 600w OCZ Powerstream for $90AR? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2235422&CatId=0

Both seem to be ALLOT cheaper than the egg.

Hmm time to hit review sites.

700watt GAMER EXTREME FOR CERTAIN...for sure...for real...

RGone...:confused:

!@#!#!@#!@#!@##!!!!

OK, this bites. Antec. Aargh.

Now need to get a new PSU fast, so that means I have to get it from TigerDirect. (Ugh--though they are close, and ship within 1 day).

Should I get a 700 OCZ gameXstream for $100 AR http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...4&sku=O261-2005

or or 600w OCZ Powerstream for $90AR? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2235422&CatId=0

Both seem to be ALLOT cheaper than the egg.

Hmm time to hit review sites.

Small update, got the new PSU about 1 hour ago, and have been testing.

Using the RMA board DFI sent, fired up the first time (like last time--which is a good sign :)). Set everything in BIOS, and all seems well so far.

Doing some stress testing now.

The OCZ PSU is OK, needs more molex connectors though! The voltages are 3.28, 4.89, 12.34. Not the best, was hoping for them to be dead on.

On the ultra-D, does the RAM LED (amber one) does that shut off when the machine shuts down? I don't recall if the RAM LED would turn off or not on my original board.

Now, I have to deal with Antec & see how the RMA goes on that other PSU, under 1 year old... however, when I did a jump start on the PSU, I could read the voltages, and they seemed OK. Before I stuck the new PSU in though, I tried it again, and it would turn ANYTHING on at all, no LEDS except for the lone amber one close to the debug LEDs, and that would be it. Pressing case switch or mobo switch didn't do anything else. So I am assuming it is a load issue of some kind?

Back to stress testing.