NEW for ME

Guest bobyjo_merged

I purchased this motherboard off eBay last week.

My processor arived yesterday and I assembled the system, couldn't wait.

The video card I also purchased off eBay has not arived, probably won't either.

This joker was listing Radeon X1950XTX retail video cards with no reserve.

I won one of these for $305.00 paid for it via PayPal.

This was on the 12th and no card as of yet, no response from the seller.

So I am presently attempting to get the funds back through PayPal and eBay.

The system is running extremely good with the exception of a generic video card PCI.

The system refuses to boot if I place the memory sticks in the two closest slots from the CPU. Seems to do well in the outside slots. Is this normal?

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. This does not include the

Infinity series but the NF4 series including the newer Expert and Venus series. Also includes the RDX200 CF-DR and the newer CFX3200-DR.

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel. Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of

memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot furtherest from cpu.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

Thanks, This is my first nF4 board and I am not familiar with all the stuff with it.

There was no manual with the MB. I do have everything running great and am satisfied.

I will place the memory in the orange slots.

OK I have the sticks in the orange slots, and seems to be working grea

Now I have a question:::

I have an external modem.

Serial port connection, i have a serial port device and have plugged it into the COMM socket at the bottom of the board.

HOW do I get the external modem to be recognized so I can use it?

Have you run MemTest on your memory to be sure that it is working ok? If not, make sure you enable it using the genie settings in the BIOS, right down the bottom. Run tests 5 and 8 for 10+ passes each, and then restart and allow it to run over night with all tests.

If you receive any errors try one stick at a time in the topmost orange slot. These boards can be quite picky, so memory errors will usually indicate that some of the secondary timings are wrong/out...

Have you run MemTest on your memory to be sure that it is working ok? If not, make sure you enable it using the genie settings in the BIOS, right down the bottom. Run tests 5 and 8 for 10+ passes each, and then restart and allow it to run over night with all tests.

If you receive any errors try one stick at a time in the topmost orange slot. These boards can be quite picky, so memory errors will usually indicate that some of the secondary timings are wrong/out...

Yea I ran those tests when I first got the system up and running. At first I had 2x512mb Patriot XBLK. These were super good. Ran them again after installing the Corsair, still OK.

I think the system is faster since I installed them in the orange slots.

As far as bios, I selected Optomized Defaults, saved and exited. NO problems as yet, I have downloaded the latest bios. Have not flashed as yet, matter of fact do not even know which bios is running at this time. I will iron out any wrenkles as time goes on. Thanks

The system is running super. Everything is good except no PCIe video card as yet.

The only problem I have is::

I use an external modem that connects to the computer via serial cable.

This MB has no built in serial ports. I did find a COMM port at the bottom of the board. The serial divice I have had, plugs into this port perfectly.

Bios shows an address for this COMM port.

Windows does not recognize the modem, no matter what I do.

Does anyone have any success in using this COMM port?

Help if you can. Thanks