Not too shabby so far

Daddyjaxx

Over on OC Forums, someone wanted to trade an Opty 165 for a 4400+. My first thought was that it was a scam. Who would want a 4400+ instead of a good stepping Opty 165? I told the guy that I would only trade if I could play around with it first. I offered to give the guy some cash to ship first. He shipped it to me first for nothing. Unbelievable. I got it today.

I'm still a long way from my 4400+ top speed, barely over the stock speed, but my 4400+ would not pass SuperPi 32m at stock multiplier of 11 at anything over 246, even with 1.6v. I'm hoping things are looking up that this could be a keeper.

optyqd3.jpg

I have almost the same MHz O/C on stock voltage as I did with the 4400+ @ 1.525. :)

First thing I noticed about the Opty is that the temps seem to be more accurate than the 4400+. It was around 4c warmer. I don't believe it is warmer because the blocks after the CPU are cooler than before, so I adjusted my calibration in MBM down a little.

Now into the realm of the unknown for the memory. I never really worried before because I couldn't get over 250 without dropping the multiplier. What are HZ's normally good for at 1:1, 260? 270?

The first time I have to up the vcore because SuperPi fails, that's when I'll Prime it. I love overclocking, but I hate the tedium that goes with it when you get a new CPU. :)

just memtest the ram to see how high in mhz you can go... if you can get 255-260 then drop it on a 180 divider...then when and if the cpu makes it to 280x9 you'll be 250mhz on the ram... then drop to the next divider and keep going from there..166...amd so on...

if you get lucky and can get higher out of the ram then good thats all the better...good luck..

Well... I'm done for now. 10 runs of SuperPi 32m (200-300) and it still hasn't failed. I'll run some Prime tomorrow. Right now, at the very least I have a CPU pretty much running the same speed with a lot less voltage. :) I should have started at 300 and saved myself 7 hours. :)

optywt7.jpg

Well...it wasn't a keeper. Everything after 2700 was all down hill. I did get it to 2800, but it took 1.6v and it was hot (52c), so I sent it back. It wasn't a bad Opty for someone going from single core. It did 2.7 @ 1.375 vcore just fine. That's still a hella o/c for for 1.8 CPU.

The good news is my 4400+ may have some life in her yet. Priming 3 hours so far at 275x10 @ 1.58 and the temps according to MBM, with an adjustment, are 38 and according to Core Temp of 43 on each core. It's a litttle more vcore than I'd like, and the temps are still fine, but the 4400+'s can be replaced for a lot less than the 500 I paid for this one. :)