Stupid question about liquid cooling pumps

CharmedLover84

A few days ago, I refilled my liquid cooling because it was getting a little low, right when I changed to the DFI board coincidentally.

I've always been told "Make sure your liquid cooling pump stays upright".

Well... mine fell over... then I got bubbles in my system (which I expected with filling it up) so I worked them out with the PSU powering only the LC system and not the computer, then I booted back up.

Temp on the CPU got hotter than h-e-l-l so I turned it off... sure enough the tube coming "out" of the CPU was warm to the touch. I was like "Okay, what the heck"

During working out the bubbles my pump ended up in several non-upright positions...

So I worked on it for two hours... then I flipped it upside down... now everything works great and it's actually keeping my system COOLER than ever. My CPU Idles at 26-27C @ 2.9GHz when I have both my radiator fans turned up high (I modified my radiator and put two Thermaltake 120MM fans with fan controllers on them so I can crank them up when gaming/benchmarking).

Is this a bad idea or will it be okay? Should I be expecting to replace my pump soon or... will it be fine running upside down until I get a new liquid system here in probably a few months?

Um...I don't think it should matter how your pump is oriented, you just don't want to trap any air in there which should be impossible since they should come out as soon as you flip it on.

Beats me why it heated up. :confused:

Maybe you had a bubble trapped in your CPU water block. You should orient your equipment to facilitate any air popping out. Also orient the water flow thru your equipment in the same direction (when possible) as an air bubble tends to move ...

Yeah I did have a bubble in my CPU block, that's why I had to work the bubbles out in the first place. I have no bubbles now, just want to make sure the pump being upside down is not going to hurt the system in the long run.

I really can't think of any reason it should affect anything, as long as the tubes aren't kinked anywhere.