Ultra D will not boot with X2 4800

Here's the original setup

DFI NF4 Ultra D Bios 3/10/05

A64 Winchester 3000+

Corsair PC3200LL XMS Pro 2-2-2-5 (boots as 2-3-2-5 for some reason)

XP-90 heatsink

WD 74gig Raptor on SATA channel 2

NEC 3550 DVD burner on IDE 1

BFG 6800 GT with NV5 Silencer

NeoPower 480 watt

No Case -board mounted to Plexiglass on 1" standoffs - It sits on my workbench

All 4 power connectors plugged into board

Here's the problem.

Before I installed a new AMD X2 4800+ processor I downloaded the latest official BIOS from the DFI website BIOS 4/06/06. I flashed the Bios and booted up on the 3000+ and everything is normal. Played a few mins of Doom 3 and everything is fine.

I then installed the new 4800+ processor and cleared the CMOS. I started the system and entered the Bios to check temp and it was 38deg C. I then set to Optimum and saved and rebooted the system. After reboot, it sees the 4800 just fine and acts as if it will boot normal but stops right after the PCI config table and I never see Verifying DMI. It simply reboots every time it gets to this point. It pauses for about 5 seconds after the PCI table then it reboots.

Things I have done to solve the problem.

Reset the cmos

Reseated the memory

Removed the Audigy2 sound card

Relaxed the memory timing to 3-3-3-8

reseated all power connections

Unplugged the SATA connector to the hard drive - never gets to boot failure.

Set all memory timings to auto in the Bios

I have reinstalled the 3000+ processor and the sytem booted like normal.

I'm typing this now with the system

Things I should try?

Re flash with differant BIOS maybe? I think it flashed improper for some reason, but it works now.

RMA the 4800? I don't think this is the problem though

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

I flashed to 03/09/06 Bio and reinstalled the 4800+ and reset the cmos and removed the battery before booting.

I still have the exact same problem. The system will not boot past the pci table. It never sees the "Verifying DMI Pool" prompt.

Any Ideas?

Is this a bad processor?

Have you seen the problems I have been having with mine? Don't count on it not being something you either have set wrong on the board, or just plain being the board. My suggestion would be to try the processor in another motherboard if you have one available or a friend willing to let you test it in his system, if it works in there... yeah... same problem I have with my video cards, they work fine in another machine but they won't work in this board. Course, it's not the same board as yours, but I do have the 04/06/06 BIOS. Honestly thinking of setting it back to the original BIOS to see if that helps.

Well this board has always had wierd butt problems. Sometimes the USB mouse does not work until I unplug and replug it back in the port. I tried uping the voltage to the core a little and it goes a little futher into the boot process but it hangs at the "Do you want windows to start normal screen" with 1.5vcore. I'm really not liking this at all.

That's insane.

Mine doesn't have that problem, but it won't even do anything right when I have it at 1.5V whereas with my former motherboard, I had it at 1.5V running at 2.991GHz and it was stable enough for me to get 9975 in 3DMark06 with my two 7900GTXs. Really ticks me off that all of the sudden they aren't working in this board anymore. Hope your problem pans out better than mine looks to, cuz mine is looking like this board is EBay bound.

After raising the Mem voltage to 2.8, it seems to boot just fine, except now my operating sytem was hosed. I had to repair the startup files for windows xp x64. Repair went flawless and now installing updates from the Microsoft.

Seem the problem was I forgot I had to raise the voltage for the memory to work properly. After resetting the bio this has to be raised to proper voltage of 2.75 as per email from Corsair. After evrything is running perfect I will lower the core voltage back to the auto setting to see if it runs proper.

The strange part is the 3000+ ran just fine with the low voltage condition to the the memory. When I 1st setup this sytem it would not run proper until it was raised. Hell it was more than a 1 1/2 years since I bought this board and memory.

After raising the Mem voltage to 2.8, it seems to boot just fine, except now my operating sytem was hosed. I had to repair the startup files for windows xp x64. Repair went flawless and now installing updates from the Microsoft.

Seem the problem was I forgot I had to raise the voltage for the memory to work properly. After resetting the bio this has to be raised to proper voltage of 2.75 as per email from Corsair. After evrything is running perfect I will lower the core voltage back to the auto setting to see if it runs proper.

The strange part is the 3000+ ran just fine with the low voltage condition to the the memory. When I 1st setup this sytem it would not run proper until it was raised. Hell it was more than a 1 1/2 years since I bought this board and memory.

Change your PSU to one which is one the recommended list:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

The OCZ like mine - see sig, they rock !!!