DFI NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 probems

Guest DaddyD302_merged

Harddrives shouldn't be related to what happened with your usb mouse. Thats some strange stuff, but my G15 keyboard a few times while trying to find the max clock stopped responding during startup and that required me to use a regular keyboard, I guess thats as close to your problem but it didn't require for me to reinstall windows.

Do you have your harddive partitioned to a smaller size or did you just leave it at 500GB? A quick format should be fine but of course a regular one would be the best.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DaddyD302
Harddrives shouldn't be related to what happened with your usb mouse. Thats some strange stuff, but my G15 keyboard a few times while trying to find the max clock stopped responding during startup and that required me to use a regular keyboard, I guess thats as close to your problem but it didn't require for me to reinstall windows.

Do you have your harddive partitioned to a smaller size or did you just leave it at 500GB? A quick format should be fine but of course a regular one would be the best.

I hope you're right, because I am kinda nervous, lol. I installed it on 467G, leaving I think 8G for whatever it didn't let me. I did this because I am a newbie..... I know nothing about using different partitions for other stuff. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it had anythign to do with me having 2 seperate Nvidia driver folders. It was the first time I noticed it, as I never bother to check on it till my computer crashed. I wonder if my drivers became corrupted when I tried to unistall all the Nvidia's drivers. I'm starting to think that was the problem, driver corruption. Well I am a newb, and I am only guessing lol. Well at least now I learned that I need to get another HD either for raid 0+1[which I'm clueless about], or internal/external for saving stuff on in case my HD gets corrupted or dies. I do have a spare 40G IDE 7200rpm HD in my other computer I could use as an external HD if I buy a kit for it.

If you are talking about the C:Nvidia folder thats a temp install folder so deleting it wouldn't have done anything. All the drivers are installed into the system root folder so the only way to really screw it up is to delete something from there, uninstalling it would just let windows detect it as new hardware again and it wouldn't even make a difference running in safemode if you didn't try that.

The best thing you should do is to create a partition while installing windows like make it 40gb or something, thats what I have mines at, you can make it a bit smaller or larger depending on how much programs you want to install there. I usually make another partition for my games and then others for other files and such. Of course I also have a seperate spare harddrive running holding all my important files, music etc that I don't want to lose.

Guest DaddyD302

Got a question about OCing. Will I get better results with going for 3.0Ghz by upping the mult to 12 or lowering it and going higher with the ram? I don't think I can push the ram higher then 255. This is why I chose to up it from 11X to 12X. I got almost 3Ghz at the moment but I haven't ran any stability test besides 3Dmark. Gonna run some later when I go to work.

Wow a loaded question... Depends on the memory multiplier you use, and your ram. I don't have the cheat sheet handy, but there is a jpg floating around that lists the AM2 ratios for memory based upon mem divider and cpu multiplier.. see what will get you closest to the speeds you require:

HTT and Mem and CPU. I am sure the graphic is still up in one forum or the other... It helps tremendously.

Guest DaddyD302
Wow a loaded question... Depends on the memory multiplier you use, and your ram. I don't have the cheat sheet handy, but there is a jpg floating around that lists the AM2 ratios for memory based upon mem divider and cpu multiplier.. see what will get you closest to the speeds you require:

HTT and Mem and CPU. I am sure the graphic is still up in one forum or the other... It helps tremendously.

I am running them at 12X multipler, 4X HT multipler, bus speed is at 250, timings are 4-4-4-0-15, T1. Is this safe? Temps are 62C-68C full load, 45C idle. Still havwn't ran prime 95 yet, it passed 6 hours of Nvidia stability's test. Haven't really had the time to test it over 12 hrs or more yet, since the cpu fan is kinda loud, so I can't do it when I'm sleeping. I noticed a huge jump in performance from my 4200 X2 @ 2.74Ghz. My computer boots 15 seconds faster, webpages opens faster[when they aren't laggy], programs open faster, and games are a bit faster at loading and more consistent fps.

Can anyone who can run HTT higher than 280 tell me what settings u use to get it higher than 280? Cant get it to run for eksample 9x290 at all. Do I need to increse some voltage or something?

My rams for some reason will not boot over 260 not matter the voltage, and is unstable over 250, wierd.

Update: Well I guess I answered my own question. WoW crashed in 10 minutes. After reboot, ran virus scanner, and surfed the web, crashed again. Back to 2.74Ghz again...

• 2 months later...

Well just got mine and it will not boot up. :(

That is, it posts fine but it stops there. :( Like it freezes...

Tried with both an IDE and SATA drive. Bios sees it and when I go to view it freezes. See its fixed in the latest BIOS but i seem to have no way to get it on there.

Seeing as it will not even boot my floopy drive either... :( I know all my hardware is good since it works fine with my other MB...

Any ideas?

Update 1:

Bad darn SETA cable. :( Wow its not even 6 hours old and its dead! That and I had floppy cable backwords... Whoops! Anyhow it's finally flashing to latest bios now... :)

How long does it take flash?

Update 2:

40 mins later and still flashing...about to die (need sleep - been up 36+) if this does not work...already have to be at work in less than 9 hours..got a feeling i still got a few hours ahead of me before I get this working correctly...driving me crazy... hurry up damn it!!!!! please!!!!.. Sadly I'm the type that never gives up until I pretty much have to... please please work god! please...going insane right now...

update 3:

still going...still says "Please wait" and the entrie time the floppy has been going crazy...getting ready to give up and reboot and see what happens..

It should not take that long to flash with the DFI auto flasher program, it took me maybe no more than 10 minutes but I didn't pay attention to it while it was flashing.

Of course rebooting will have a huge chance of bios corruption but you've been waiting this long what can you do. :(

well trying to flash again now with a different disk

now it shows a checksum... I think it was a bad disk and that is why it tried forever trying to read it...that is it never showed the checksum or anything last time... just jaid "please wait" forever...

so hopefully it will work this time and it will boot up correctly...at the moment no hard disk are even attached...running min setup (MB, memory, grahpics card, processor, and floppy)

i still dont get why it will not boot...this bios is to only fix the freezing in the bios not fix it not booting at all? god i hope it works...

well anyone got any ideas while i wait?

update:

finally it flashed and no more freeze...but still will not boot...now it says please enter bootable disk...which of course it is... :( that and it takes forever to get to that point...it sticks on "decting ide drives" for like over 1 min. :( any ideas?

update 2:

making process, finally booted into windows..well tried I should say but get a nasty blue screen of 0x0000007B. :( Any ideas?

cant really do this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314082

upate 3:

trying to reinstall windows...but wont boot of dang cd..

i see boot cd.. and it jus sets there forever...tried three different drives (two cdroms and 1 dvdrom drive)... And that is only if I turn off hard disks as a boot up type..even though cdrom is set to run first before harddisk... :( wtf!!!

now trying to run a floppy first and then run the setup of the cd from there...

update 4:

welll hell finally got it to boot my dvd burner via usb...though damn this board is buggy or something... had to try a few times...darn bios did not even see it at first...then when windows setup run sees no drives..finally got that to work and now finally doing a windows install..just hope it goes well...

update 5:

well crap bad cd... well now when I turn on it stops at "main processor" and freezes..the debug thing says 50 and trying to figure out what that means...

wow this sucks big time...never had this much trouble with a MB before... well according to google 50 simply means "Display CPU type and speed" which makes sense as that is what its trying to do when it just freezes. Really strange. I know all my hardware is good though, well besides the board...Starting to think I got a bad one... :( got it from new egg and never had any serious issues with any mb before...

btw i have not changed anything in the bios besides turning off the logo screen and changing the boot order...so...perhaps the problem is that i need to change some bios setting? i got this board so i could learn but was hoping and planning on having it at least working correctly before I even started reading about this kind of stuff...

Last Update:

well everything seemed to be working finally...windows got installed fine in like half the time of my old PC :) everything is working good and then the down power went out for a second and i turned pc back on and now I am back to where I was once again... :( Back to showing 50 on the damn debug led...wtf does it mean???

Guest ElAguila

I don't know if this will be helpful or not. I am running a 2x1GB set of GSkill F2-4200PHU2-2GBNT. I am currently at 1T at 11x246. I believe the memory can do even more but until the bug with the 10x multi is fixed I won't know. If you are looking to get a decent set of memory that works good you might give the GSkill a try.