And Here Comes The Stupid Question.....

darkerick

Alright,

For the past 2 years, i have been making cd duplicates (using software like CDRWIN to make cd backups). Now thats how Ive been making cd duplicates. Now, how do you burn a cd? Do you need a cd-rom drive and a cd-rw? and whats the difference between a cd-r and a cd-rw?

And here comes the really stupid question.......

Whats the difference between a cd-rom and a cd-rw? I know one can write to a cd, but I only have a cd-rw (plexwriter) and when I put in a cd, it reads it? So a cd writer can write and perform the function of a cd-rom? So then whats the point of getting a cd-rom and a cd-rw?

Theoretically a CD-RW can be written to 1,000 times. CD-ROM stands for Compact Disk Read Only Memory, so a CD-ROM can not be written to. A CD-R can be written to once.

Edited by Iggy

CD-R's can be used more then once. What I mean by that is you can continue to add sessions to the CD until it is completely filled up. These discs cannot be erased and re-used afterwards. The same software must be used to make "multisession" CD's and your CD-ROM drive must be able to support them. Typically all newer drives do, but I have come across some older 2x-6x drives that won't read them (Creative, BTC, Mitsumi).