Ntfs Or Fat32 ?

Alexedm

You said it yourself. I have neveer seen anyone ever check off that box. All my ntfs machines and friends machines don't have that check box checked off :P

yeah, okay, that's what i figured. It would be nice if someone actually tried it and could report. I'm not gonna risk it on a harddrive that has 55gigs of files on it. Anyone have an extra harddrive lying around they can test it with? :)

ok....so if i will format my drive C: to NTFS and i will leave the second drive D: on FAT32 is it ok....?

and what about formating later...for exp if want back to WIN98??

and what about all my music ,clips, pics , games , they will work after formating drive C: into NTFS cuz all my games clips pics and music on drive D: !! ! :(

Edited by BEaRZ_HuNTeR

That is one of the benefits of having the drive setup that way. A separate d drive allows you to work with the C drive while the d drive is seperate. ANYTIME you do major things to your hard drive file system you should back up your data though to CD or some other removable media. But technically speaking, whether you format the c drive to ntfs or fat32 you should still have access to the d drive. Technically speaking you should be able to format the c drive and install win 98 then format it again and install win 2000 then back to 98 then XP and so on without disturbing your D drive if you are careful. But I would have it all backed up if it is valuable to you. One thing to keep in mind though: Win 98 CANNOT read NTFS volumes at all. So if Win 98 is an option you better keep your d drive fat32.

So it meens that i can leave D: with FAT32 ?

If you're reformatting your C: drive, then, if it's big enough, I would suggest you copy all your stuff from the D: drive to the C: drive, then format the D: to ntfs, copy everything back, then format your C: to ntfs. If that's a possibility. Otherwise, yeah, you can leave it fat32. If you saw my post above, my C: is fat32 and my d: is ntfs.

Kev, thanks for lettin us know the repurcusions of checking the compression box :)

PS. There is NO reason whatsoever, that one would revert back to win98 after using winXP. XP is FARRRRRRR superior

Edited by ClayMeow