disk boot failure

During a new install of windows XP pro it will format, install and then reboot, then come back into the windows install menu, i have taken the disk out then it says: "DISK BOOT ERROR! INSERT INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

i have put the hard drive into my computer and it gets past this (same motherboard) we took the ram out to help trouble shoot so its running 512 instead of 1gig

The motherboard is new to this rig, but was running a x2 4600+ fine until it was take out and put in here.

The specs of this system are:

DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR (missing audio module)

AMD 3000+

OCZ one stick of 512 (half of the 1gb kit)

nvidia 6200

casedge 400w PSU

Maxtor 250Gig IDE

Any help/ideas would be appereciated.

As Ed says.

I do see two different rigs in your post.

That message is very common when you have a floppy still in drive OR when you load XP onto a SATA with an IDE present. (writes some files to wrong drive)

After checking boot order if a no go try and give us complete info on what is contained and what you did? Still trying to fugure out exactly the procedure used. (Installed OS out of case?, but works when you put it in to case?)

Yeah I get that sometimes too. I usually just restart, press Esc to get into the boot order menu and choose my hard drive I boot from (that is of course when the proper boot order is set in the BIOS). Always seems to do the trick.

there are two different rigs, it was running a X24600+ then it was sold to my friend(who now has the problems)

the boot order has been changed, there is only one IDE HDD in the computer, i even removed the CD drive and then made sure that it was set to boot from HDD.

i have put the drive in to my machine(the ring in my signature) and it booted fine and went into the welcome to windows install.

We started out with formatting the drive(everything in the computer) and it installed the little bit of wondows, then changed the boot order on restart to boot from HDD, then we restart and it goes back to the format windows screen. if you remove the windows disk, it still trys to boot from CD.

i have done a few format/installs on my rig and have never had this problem.