Mixing 512mb of OCZ PC4400 with 512mb of OCZ 4200's

I currently have OCZ

EL DDR PC-4400 Dual Channel Gold *EOL 2x256MB,

OCZ550512ELDCGLE-K, 2.9v

Timings: 2.5-4-4-7. (Default is 2.5-4-4-8)

I need 512mb more of the same RAM cuz 512mb these days just doesn't cut it... but my city doesn't carry it anymore.

So as an alternative, I'm thinking of getting 512mb of This:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...&cid=RAM .178

That way I have 1Gb of RAM. my PC4400's are in DIMM1A and DIMM2A. I'm thinking of putting the PC4200's in DIMM1b and DIMM2b. My motherboard is a DFI LanParty 875-T.

Same timings, and my FSB is 250 right now, therefore neither of them would be overclocked.

What do u guys think?

Guest YuKoN

a yahoo search turned this up:

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr-ram.asp

but i'm sure that's not the only place to get you some ram in canada. i'd search around- or just buy a 1gb(or 2gb) kit. 1 matched pair(or 2 pairs) of the same ram is always best. so i'd find that elusive match to what you have, or buy all new, for the best result.

i'm sure that the 2 pairs you speak of would work together with the right timings(whichever set is slower should work for both), but that's not optimal for your oc. you may lose a little, or it might work good. just no way to tell without trying. if it doesn't work well- then you're going backwards- and I hate to spend money and go backwards. It's up to you if you'd like to take the risk.

I know what you're saying.

I want to get a 1gb or 2gb kit, but i'm low on cash for a while.

I honestly think it would work, as long as the DDR stays at or lower than 533. hell i'm sure the pc4200's could handle ddr550 with a wee bit more voltage.

Anybody have experience with this attempt?

Guest YuKoN

I ran my PQI turbo 533 (2*512) ram at over 600, 1.9 volts, with 3,4,4,8 timings. They ran fine at those speeds, memtest stable- but I found great deals on the OCZ 667(between this forum and ebay) so that's what I'm using now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, well I got a friend who works at a comp store to directly talk to an OCZ techie and they said it would NOT work...However, i demanded a reason why it wouldn't work, considering in theory, it should work.

I never got a response back, so i took the risk anyways. Both types of ram work pefectly together. I get blazing high benchmarking mem scores.

The theory has been prooven practically correct. it is possible!

Guest YuKoN

I thought it would- before I got my second set of the 667 I ran my 533 and the 667 pairs together and did not see any adverse effects. And you shouldn't either until you hit the threshold of the slower pair- but like I said there's always risks- and you just don't know until you try.

glad for you- but when you can afford it you should upgrade to better pairs. besides- 1gb won't cut it soon when you find your next new game! I don't know how I ever played BF2 and said 1gb was good enough! Now that I have 2gb, I can never go back!

Mixing different types of RAM is not recommended, especially when overclocking. You should get a matched set from the retailer, otherwise you're just looking for trouble later on, imo

sig.jpg

. Forum Rules . Guides and Links . Proper CMOS Clear . Quick Raid Guide . Cheap Parts . Email Me .

>>>>>>>>>>>>> DFI-Street Mouse Pad Logo - vote for contest winners here! <<<<<<<<<<<<<