quick overclocking question

hey guys

while im no stranger to overclocking i'm pretty new to doing it on the dfi boards and in the light of this particular thread the nf3 ut 250gb.

i have a pretty stable clock going at 2.5 ghz, i can def push this thing farther but i left it here for all intents and purposes, got a few hours of prime in without errors (will try for the full 8 soon)

anyway would an OC have any effect on IDE drives? for example, friend whose computer i was tweaking just went to install eq2, discs look fine, but gives her a crc error on disc 4. everything else she has installed is fine, just that game...i chalked it up as a messed up cd and called it a night but for the heck of it i figured i would check with you guys if this might be an issue with the overclock either being unstable or eating too much juice from the psu, though as i said she installed fear, oblivion, and all kinds of other games with no problems, and has played both fear and oblivion on the clock

just some thoughts, this is a learning experience for me

Guest GripS

IDE drives in general did not have a problem when overclocking in the early days of the AMD64. However SATA was a different story in that if you overclocked too far then the file system would be corrupted(I know from experience). Newer boards have an AGP/PCI lock so the frequency of the bus doesn't increase when overclocking so this is no longer an issue.

CRC stands for 'Cyclic Redundancy Check'. I have also experienced this before. It was a bad disk and when i exchanged the game it installed fine. Otherwise try and clean the disk.

Guest Blooz1

There's a know issue with the nF ut 250gb and SATA drives hooked up to #1+2. Those channels can be corrupted at speeds over 235 or so, and it's advised to use channels 3 + 4 if O/Cing at that speed or over.

(I'm assuming you're discussing the same system you posted about in the nF3 section earlier today?)