Strange Boot anomaly

Hi there.

When I switch my PC on after a complete power off the PC begins to start then after a few seconds shuts down, no boot screen or anything. Then if I press the power button again straight away it boots up normally no problems. What would cause this? It happens all the time after a complete power off and then power on.

Michael

Have you tried a different PSU for testing purposes (maybe even disconnect everything but your CPU, Ram "Dual Channel", video card, one harddrive...)???? It sounds like the PSU is not having enough juice to me. Than again the EXPERT is very picky so did you connect the 8pin power plug to the motherboard or does the Enermax only come with 1x4pin plug?

Yes the Enermax comes with the 4 pin connector. I don't see how it can be the a faulty PSU as the PSU worked perfectly with my previous board but that was the NF4 SLI-DR. I've had this board two weeks and the Expert has the 8 pin connector which my PSU does not have. Oh well no real problem as the PC itself runs perfect when it starts up.

Michael

Not such a strange problem with DFI mobos. You don't have to read far into the forum to see what I mean. They can be very picky.

Don't take my statement as a "I don't like DFI", because I wouldn't own anything else. It is just a fact.

I was having much the same problem. I cleared my CMOS over-night and it hasn't been a problem since. I thought the cause was bad OC'ing on my part, but I don't know what actually happened. I have OC'd since, as you can see, with no further problems.

cold boot is generally a PSU related issue, but as stated before, the expert boards are very picky and will run better if you had the 8-pin connector. Might want to try and see if you can borrow another PSU with 8-pin connector just to test that out.

It's not necessarily a bad PSU. It's an interaction between the PSU and the MB that keeps the whole thing from initializing properly. Search for "cold boot" and you'll find many threads including lots of finger pointing and denial.

On my system and my son's system, we have to cycle the power switch (long enough for the amber MB led to go out) and hit the ON button fairly quickly after we switch the PSU back on. It's not a problem for us, but we've made sure that the power switch is accessable :).

There are other suggested solutions including a capacitor across the ON power leads (at the switch) and poking (quick) or holding down the ON button.