Computer will not start

To start off, I can't figure out the BIOS on the computer in question because all I get is a black screen when I press the power button; that, and a continuous stretch of beep. It had worked fine for 2 months until a series of sudden power failures in my apartment messed it up. After the power failures, my system stalled when trying to load the OS. I removed the HDD from that computer and placed it into this one and tried loading this system's OS, only to encounter the same problem. So I put the HDD back into the non-working computer and started trying to fix it.

So, I did a Windows repair, but then it froze near the end. After restarting again, the system failed to even show a screen. Sometimes, the computer would stall with 2 out of the 4 lights on. Other times, it would stall with 1 out of the 4 lights on. I resetted the CMOS countless times, but to no advail. I'm presuming some sort of electricial surge (from the power outtages) had damaged a component (or components), but I'm not sure which.

So I put that hard drive back into this computer, and I loaded the OS perfectly fine (I presume the Windows repair succeeded). So I'm just wondering which part or parts are possibly damaged, or if I just have to do something else to them without sending them back to the manufacturer. Sorry in advance if I left any important information out. Thanks!

If you suspect a damaged-by-power issue and the system wont boot, it could be any or all of the components that are damaged. Only way to find out which ones is by taking everything out the case and swapping out with known-good parts.

If the system sometimes boots you can try running software tests.

Line-regulators or a Line-Interactive UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) are worth investing in if you've spent a fair amount on computing parts.

I had an Athlon XP 3200+ that got fried by bad power in a dorm, so I dropped $175 on a UPS and haven't looked back. Plus if the power goes out, I won't miss my alarm.