Psu Exploded !!!!

Behemoth

Well, there I was switching all my stuff into a new case, everything was complete and I was satisifed. I plug it in, psu switch on, hit the on button and sparks and smoke fly out the back of the psu. Anyway it gave me a bit of a fright and i jumped back as one can imagine. What i want to know is why this happened, I'm now running on a different psu that is slightly not as powerful. Should I be worried that this psu will blow too or was it a one off thing, thanks.

Guest Kobalt

Raidmax is very low quality. In fact, I am surprised you got it to boot at all.

Don't suppose you can post pics of the PSU? (With cover off?)

What brand is the other PSU you got?

Guest thespin

Ensure you don't have any extra mobo standoffs in back of your mobo shorting it ... unlikely, but check ..

I've heard of those in some of the bad psu threads, I've seen one too but never tested it.

I think that brand was the one of the ones that could catch fire.

I can't be sure, and I am a bit lazy to track that down...

You don't really want to give it a 2nd try lol...

Wait to get a new psu, something that will at least boot your rig up correctly.

If it won't boot, well...

Long road ahead maybe ^^.

Edit:

Well if your running, that's good.

But...

Make sure it's a decent psu, you should let it rest until you can find some specific's on the psu you're using right now.

To see if it's allright for the long run.

Well, there I was switching all my stuff into a new case, everything was complete and I was satisifed. I plug it in, psu switch on, hit the on button and sparks and smoke fly out the back of the psu. Anyway it gave me a bit of a fright and i jumped back as one can imagine. What i want to know is why this happened, I'm now running on a different psu that is slightly not as powerful. Should I be worried that this psu will blow too or was it a one off thing, thanks.
I'm confused, was it the raidmax that blew or some other model. Please more info.

Guest Blooz1

Yeah, me too!

The PSU blew, yet the CPU and MB are still working?

That's kinda bizzarre!

Sorry i should have said which psu it was. The one that blew up was made by task and you may have never heard of it but its 12v 5v and 3.3v rails were right up there and thats the one that blew. The raidmax one is what im using now until i get a good one, thanks.