Overclocking 9200 Card

geetje

Hi,

I'm new to overclocking a card and am wondering how to safely overclock my vid card (it's a Hercules ati radeon 9200).

I've tried to overclock it, but am not sure what is a good score with 3dmark2000.

Currently I have a score of 5005 and my system is:

CPU=> 1100 MHz AMD Athlon

Vidcard=> Hercules radeon 9200

Memory=> 288 MB

Monitor=> 1024 x 768 16 bit 3dmark2000 score: 5152

Core clock=> 250

Memory clock=> 200

What do you think is my maximum to reach without mounting a bigger fan?

It's hard to say what your maximum is, until you reach it. Every card is different for about 1000 reasons. Just go till it doesn't go no more (or starts to smoke) and you'll find your maximum. Adding a better heat sink/fan will probably help you get a little bit better OC, and the adition of ram sinks can help as well.

As far as your scores, check the benchmark forum to get an idea of what other people are getting.

... and are you looking at 3DMark01 or 3DMark03? There is no 3DMark2000

use 3dMark2001 then you can get a better feel for how your doing with your OC.

i can score around 7000(ish) in 2001 on a fairly regular basis with a 2.2P4 and a GeForce 4 MX440 (64Mb AGP) and 256Mb DDR Ram.

I reckonj you shoudl be ablet ot get around that level fi not higher because of your graphics card.

Well ther is actually a 3dmark2000, but it is an old version.

Your right... my bad.

It's a DX7 test. Like stew said, you should test using 2001 or 2003 to get a better idea of your card, and how it compairs.

Where can I get a FREE copy of 3dmark01 or 3dmark03?

I've searched and found them, but I have to buy the pakage.

Meanwhile I oc'd my vid card and with Powerstrip I got up to 279 MHz with the engine core and 213 MHz with memory clock and now F1Challenge runs with 1024 x 768 32 bit settings and a reasonable smooth 17 fps.

I'm trying to get the fps over 24, but I think the card won't make it.

Can I compare the score (5053, 3dmark2000) with 3dmark03 or is it to difficult to compare the benchmarks against eachother?

00 and 03 are totaly diffrent man. see at the moment im on a 32meg pos aiw whats liek old as dirt and i cant even run 03 be cause 03 tests primary for what this card cant do lol it cant handle dx9 or its features on this card there for i cant run 03 so you cant get a good compare of a 00-03 score cause the scores will be diffrent.

on 01 i get a crap score of like 1245 thats SADDD lol this vid card sux!

thats why im pulling it out in 2 hrs when my new card gets here :P

its another pos but im kinda poor right now lol!

and i dont think we are allowed to tell you were you can get a free copy of it lol i think theres a trial on there web site. just use that

fubar

also you can msg me on aim if youd like @ xnoskillzx420

You can download 01 or 03 free from any of the mirrors. The paid versions include a few extra test, and some other stuff. But you should be fine with the free vesions.

In fact.. you can even get them from the OCC download center.

I've found a free copy on a site so I'm d/l now, but it's a 177 mb so it may take a wile (fortunately I have ADSL since a month).

**Finally d/l it and ran the test: 896

radeon 9200 (279 MHz Core clock, 213 MHz Memory clock)

1100 MHZ CPU

Is that high enough or do I have to get more out of it?

Edited by geetje

I'm asuming (hoping) that youve jsut ran the 2003 version which is a directx9 test, if youve jsut run the 2001 edition then youve got a problem.

I score 350-375 on 2003 which i thinks pretty good for my rig.

If its 2001 edition then pause Folding, Seti and all that crap close EVERY program you can (if need be unplug yourself from the net and close your software firewall if you have one) and retest.