Can't get past 250FSB: P4 640, 875-T, OCZ 4400 Gold Limited...

Damn! 60c under load for the CPU is pushing it.

I have never had my 640 over 51c using a Thermaltake Tower 112, Coolermaster Aero blower intake and 80mm Vantec Stealth exhaust.

yes, the load temp is pretty high. it's actually RIGHT at the limit before CPU thermal-throtting.

but my voltage is much higher than what yours was. you said you used 1.4v.

I ended up having to use 1.5125v. 1.4v would not keep anything stable for me unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are at 60C over 1.5Vcore it will prolly be throttling, the Zalman was not better than the stock cooler for me even with good contact..I was able to run 4.49G on a enermax 485 24 pin and the same speed on an antec 550 20 pin with adapter so your psu isnt limiting you.

• 2 weeks later...

slugzkea,

I am O/C-ing a 640j also.

Most of my O/C issues with this board have been cooling and RAM. I managed to burn up a G.Skill stick and now with the new Geil PC4000 I am easily over 4ghz with 1.3875v. Right now I am fine tuning and testing to achieve 100% stable. At 265fsb and 1.45v I am able to run mprime for 10 hours or so before seg fault. I went with Geil because they are rated up to 3.1v. I hope to settle around 4.1ghz.

The MAIN thing though - water cooling! My case is too restricted to allow any kind of real airflow and I wanted it quieter. I can reccomend SwiftTech www.swiftnets.com for a complete kit. Took me less than three hours to install and lowered my temps in half. The "Ultra" kit is the way to go IMO. I've even been to their factory here in Long Beach and met the owner. Let me know if you want to compare notes on bios setup or want to hear more about the water cooling kit.

Post your final results!

• 7 months later...

UPDATE!!! 02/02/07

For the longest period of time, I've been running into massive errors and problems without any possible conclusions. Now I have found the source of those problems.

I have successfully achieved 4.02ghz at 1.45v.

Since I am the only user on this entire forum that had a 640 heat up like it was a 520 and not achieving 4ghz literally at ALL, I refused to accept the possibility that it was my "cpu" or that my cpu was "maxed out".

Well get this guys.

First off, I got this cpu and the motherboard used. I have never ever taken the cpu out of the socket 775 until today. When I did so, I noticed there was a spongy pad attached to the centre of the cpu, where the mini capacitors and transistors are. Now I have never seen a spongy pad under my p4 520 before, now has my friend who owns a 630 has witnessed one either. I instantly took the pad off, since it was acting as an insulate. No wonder my load temps were so high! and a whole bunch of other problems as well!!!

Now that the pad has been removed, ALL errors and problems disappeared.

I will be posting pics shortly, Thank you ALL for your help and support!

Oh, BTW

I made a few recent upgrades :D

- OCZ Powerstream 520w Native 24-pin

- Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case w/added Antec Tricool 120mm

79CFM@30db fan to the side pannel.

- OCZ XTC Memory Cooler

Sweet!