[1KW PSU]weird psu problem

edjahman

Original email...

Hi Ed:

As you know, there are 3 +12V rails. The processor power is on V1, The Drives are on V2, and the Video(Quad 6 pin) and the +12V on the 24 pin connector are V3. If you plug a Floppy or Molex connector (V2) in to the same line as the Processor connection (V1) the traces on the motherboard actually join V1 + V2, and the PSU sees this a short, and won't start. You should safely be able to simply not use that connection as you have plenty of current going through the PCI-E connectors. We believe that motherboard manufacturers added this provision with the knowledge that a lot of PSU's were out there not equipped with the PCI-E connections, and thus would need to allow for more current.

Realizing this, we added an Aux connection of our own. If you look at the DC output cables, there should be a cable with a Female 4 pin connection. Also in the box would be an adapter (4 pin Male to Drive). This was intended to use in conditions where the motherboard has that aux connection you have. If you feel safer using the aux connection, then just add a floppy adapter, to the other adapter, and it should work fine in that condition as well. I would appreciate it if you let me know what you ended up doing and report back at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Robert Roark

President

PC Power & Cooling, Inc.

(800)722-6555 P

(760)931-6988 F

www.pcpowercooling.com

OK! I'm trying to wrap my brain around this issue.

On the PCP&C Server version, the ATX and floppy/molex are on 12V3 while the CPU is 12V1 and 12V2 for an 8pin CPU power connector.

On the PCP&C Graphics version, the ATX is on 12V3, the CPU is on 12V1 and the 4pin floppy/molex is on 12V2

According to the email the Graphics version shorts 12V1 CPU and 12V2 4pin floppy.

The server version would have 12V1 on the CPU and 12V3 on the 4pin floppy/molex. This assumes you're not running an Expert board with a Server version which would have 12V1 and 12V2 on the CPU with 12V3 on the 4pin floppy/molex.

Bottom line:

The Server version works because the ATX and floppy/molex is on 12V3.

The Graphics version doesn't work because the ATX is on 12V3 and the floppy/molex is on 12V2 causing a short.

Now for comparison, my Fortron Epsilon has 12V1 CPU, 12V2 CPU/PCIe, 12V3 ATX/floppy/molex and 12V4 PCIe.

This means I have 12V1 CPU and 12V3 floppy/molex shorted according to the email description of the issue.

I've gone through four sheets of paper making drawings and even pulled apart two of my rigs to trace wires to compare them to the tech drawings at PCP&C.

I hope this brings an end to this issue showing that it is solely related to the design of the PCP&C Graphic version not the DFI motherboard.

I really wish we had gotten better info from PCP&C in the email because I just about shorted my brain working this issue. LOL

ExRoadie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic