Hottest Opteron 165 of all time?

Guest area51_merged

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always expect temps to go up when you increase clock speed, regardless of voltage. It's not linear either - the higher the clocks, the bigger the temp jump, or to better discribe, the closer you get to max clock, the bigger the temp jumps will be.

Hi guys im new here. i have already made the choice im going for the DFI Nforce4 ultra-D Board. But i have a dilema in the procesor since i cant make my mind.

My budget is limited so i cannot afford a lot $$$$$ ive been thinking in the 3700+ (sandiego) or Opteron 144 Venus. Im looking forward to OC.. wich do you think its a better option for buying. Any other recomendation for CPU be welcome... Please do not recommend Dual opteron since they are 2 expensive $$$$ ...

Ive heard Opteron are pretty good Overclockers some say better than Athlon64.. i dunno that but any recomendation of any other Opteron will be welcome my budget for CPU cant pass the $240 limit =(.

Hope to see your recomendation guys

C ya.

Hi guys im new here. i have already made the choice im going for the DFI Nforce4 ultra-D Board. But i have a dilema in the procesor since i cant make my mind.

My budget is limited so i cannot afford a lot $$$$$ ive been thinking in the 3700+ (sandiego) or Opteron 144 Venus. Im looking forward to OC.. wich do you think its a better option for buying. Any other recomendation for CPU be welcome... Please do not recommend Dual opteron since they are 2 expensive $$$$ ...

Ive heard Opteron are pretty good Overclockers some say better than Athlon64.. i dunno that but any recomendation of any other Opteron will be welcome my budget for CPU cant pass the $240 limit =(.

C ya.

Always get opteron if you want to overclock, get A64/X2 otherwise.

All people say this.

Get a 144 or 146, whichever suits your budget more. If you can wait, and save a little, get an opteron 165 instead, which go for like $320.

Guest area51

@Yawgmoth

If you want a nice chip I have an Opteron 146 CABNE that will do 2.95Ghz @ 1.35 x 1.1 ~ 1.485v prime stable all day long. I would be willing to part with it for $180.

It is a sweet chip with a great mem controller but I just bought myself an Opty 165...

THX guys for responding. i think i will go for the 146 Opteron since its the cheaper better option for me. I was considering 144 but it takes 600mhz to reach 2.4ghz againts 400mhz for the 146 Opteron... and thats the thing whats keeping me worry coz i live in a very hot country .... also humedity its everywhere since its raining seasson.

I am considering weather conditions 2 overclock.

Do you think 600mhz increase in the 144 Opteron over 400mhz increase in the 146 can be a threat in a hot/wet enviroment...i guess the more mhz+voltage u throw the more it gets hot... ????

@2.4ghz its my first goal in any CPU i wold buy.

Only voltage makes it hot, mhz does nothing temperature-wise.

Look at other people's results with 144 and 146 and see which ones do better.

If they do the same, get the cheaper 144, if not, go for a 146.

Guest area51

@Burky

Been busy with work and have not had the time to really play with it yet...

I can tell you this though, it really is the HOAT (Hottest Opteron of All Time) :shake:

Even lidless with a Typhoon smashed down on the core this thing idles @33c and loads @44c at stock volts.

Cant even imagine what stock cooling with the IHS would be like...

Good news is I am going to water here pretty soon so we should be able to stretch the suckers legs a little bit. It deffinetly looks like it will be stable at 3Ghz but just need to reign in the temps a bit before I even think of going higher.

Guest caffeinejunkie
Only voltage makes it hot, mhz does nothing temperature-wise.

Look at other people's results with 144 and 146 and see which ones do better.

If they do the same, get the cheaper 144, if not, go for a 146.

actually increasing the frequency will increase the thermal output in a linear fashion. Obviously it's very minimal but it is there. From what ive seen both 144s and 146s clock great. Only problem with the 144 is your limited by the 9x multi.

C ya.

Before you get into trouble, please read the rules. The link is written in BIG RED LETTERS.