IDE/SATA Drivers

Hi, I'm afraid that i'm going to have to ask what may actually be a stupid question. I still struggle with stability in this system - it is prime stable for over 24hrs... but if i leave it running something like Azureus overnight, i will wake up and sometimes find that it has crashed overnight...

So, my question is this:

I've heard that you shouldn't have the NVIDIA IDE drivers installed. I run XP Pro, and under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section I have:

NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Contoller

Primary IDE Channel

Seconday IDE Channel

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Is this correct - or should i rollback the NVIDIA SATA controller and run a "default" one of some kind?

Cheers,

ganders

Hello,

The drivers do work for many other users but if you think it is the problem uninstall it and see what happens.

Have you tested the memory with memtest? (run for min of 3hrs).

What about all 4 power connectors?

Yep, 24hrs+ MemTest (but only from a fresh cold boot) and just this morning completed 24hrs Prime stable. All 4 power connectors are in (haha - i just checked again though ;o)

So, if people don't run these drivers - what do they run for the Serial ATA drive controller? Just a default Microsoft one (ie. whatever is installed by default) - and what is the best way to roll it back "cleanly"?

Cheers

ganders

You only need the SATA drivers if you are going to run the drive in a RAID array.

If not the BIOS can make the drive show up as an IDE drive, therefore no need for SATA drivers.

Yeah default is a microsoft driver.

Best way is always going to be a reinstall + format.

Also do not install the nvidia firewall/NAM software.

I use a Raid-0 array, with both a system partition and a larger data one. So, will I need to use the NVIDIA drivers then, or will the MS ones still be ok? And yeah, i know about the firewall issues...

Cheers,

ganders

Sorry to have to *bump*, but just wanted to check if i have to run the NVIDIA SATA raid drivers, or can I run some version of the MS ones. I tried the standard MS ones I could find and ended up getting BSOD's as windows tried to load...

I'd prefer to use the nvidia drivers. Best and most stable for me also. MS gave me a bsod, and I wasn't happy. So, go ahead and install it. Either way, it's supposed to improve performance they say...so give it a whirl.