Boot Issue - Can anyone help?

OK, I've just built my new comp. When it's up and running it fine, BUT, sometimes it won't restart. This also happens when I turn it on for the first time. It will eventually boot up but takes me 3 or 4 restarts.

I've played around in the BIOS and tweaked several different settings but to no avail. When it does hang, there is 1 light on on the motherboard.

First I though it might be the FDD type power connector on the mb that I hadn't plugged in (because my psu only has 1) so I tried that - but no joy.

This first happenned from the very start, when I installed windows too. It also, sometimes, tries to boot from CD, even though I don't touch the keyboard and have the HD as my first device?

There are a few other threads similar to this, but none of them have an answer that worked.

Please please help because I am very close to smashing the thing up!

Thanks

OK, pulled my system apart and just had basics (CPU, HD, RAM, Vid Card) which improved it - it now fails to boot about 1 in every 5.

It get's to the point where there is just 1 light on mobo (VGA Detected) the CPU fan slows right down and it hangs! I also tried changing the PCI slot my grahics are in just incase it made any difference but to no avail :(

I am having this same problem with the DFI LanPart UT NF4 Ultra-D. I am using an Opteron 170. When it gets up and running it runs great. Should we just live with this or is it a bad processor issue?

When I swapped my Opty 170 with my friends, I didn't seem to have the issue anymore.

Yeah, I've read that thread, I'd done evrything right. I think I've sorted now!!!!! I updated my bios to the latest (it was11/14/2005) seems to have done the trick.

I'm not holding my breath though cos I thought i'd sorted it before and the problem came back. So far I've done about 15 reboots, both from windows and the button, and they've all been fine. Time will tell.

I think you have to use a Floppy. When you run the NF4LD406.EXE file it automatically searches for a floppy and writes to it. Don't know how you'd get it on CD.