Overvolting Ram just as dangerous?

Is increasing the vram also detrimental to its health similar to vcore and gpu core voltages? I'd imagine so anyways.

More specifically, in my case is 2.9V too high for OCZ PC4000 (running at 272.5mhz), rated at 2.8V?

Tim

You're fine, 2.9v is nothing compared to 3.7v for let's say for example BH-5 ram. If your memory is stable with those timings and voltage you're fine. If not, try something else.

Note: Memory that use 3.5v+ need active cooling, so there you have it, you will never need that much anyway....

Yes sir, just lowered it to 2.8V and it still seems stable doing dual prime blending test.

I find that kind of impossible.. :confused: are you using a divider ?

What are the rest of your settings ?.. (timings and cpu multi)

I find that kind of impossible.. :confused: are you using a divider ?

What are the rest of your settings ?.. (timings and cpu multi)

Not that impossible if its uccc or infeneon chips on those 1gb sticks of his. They don't seem to gain almost any stability on volts over stock 2.6v. In fact many cases have shown increase voltage to decrease stability.

I've updated my sigs with more pertinent info. So thunda, you mean to say that 272.5mhz is a bit high for 2.8V?

And in response to neogenesis, I set it to 2.9V at first thinking that it needed the extra voltage before I realized that it was just the vcore that was limiting my clock speeds. So I lowered it to the stock 2.8V, and seems fine.

Have you seen if it will run lower at say 2.7? Many people on xtremesystems are getting overclocks like yours on similar ram with stock voltages.

Nice setup btw, very similar to mine. I hope to break past 3ghz tomorrow once my new ram comes in to replace these faulty sticks. I can boot windows at 3.2 on 1.525v but my mem keeps it from being prime stable.

Not that impossible if its uccc or infeneon chips on those 1gb sticks of his. They don't seem to gain almost any stability on volts over stock 2.6v. In fact many cases have shown increase voltage to decrease stability.
Oh.. duh !

Im sorry I didnt realize he had 2x1gig sticks, I was thinking he had winbond 1gig sticks..lol.. This means I need to get to sleep..

sbmaser.. sorry for the confusion.. With that ram you have you'd prolly be best to keep it around 2.6-2.8v.. 2.9v wont hurt if it gains you something but it probably wont..

Have you seen if it will run lower at say 2.7? Many people on xtremesystems are getting overclocks like yours on similar ram with stock voltages.

I'll give it a try now, but the stock voltage on these chips are 2.8V...and yes it seems stable at 2.7V as well, running 2xprime using blending test again. I'll run memtest overnight later to make sure. But it sure is shaping up to be an a nondeterminant when it comes to the clock speeds. Perhaps I should try an 180 divider.

Tim

Guest Blooz1

I'm using the same ram in my rig. The SPD rating is 2.8V on the OCZ Golds, but I'm running mine at 2.6V, same as most people who are using the G.Skill GBHZ 2Gb ram.

These are UCCC, and don't benefit much from increased voltage.

You should be smilin' if you're running 272MHz! I've been very happy with my ram so far, but, thanks to my CPU, I haven't taken them over 265 so far.

UCCC = 2.65v MAXIMUM!

mine get ~282mhz@ 2.6v setting in bios

anything more...adding "+.03", or bumping up to 2.7v...increases errors

dropping below 2.5v also increases errors

love the UCCC...cool, fast and cheap!