No SLI Problem

This is my first DFI build and things were all falling into place till I went to enable SLI and was told that graphics cards that that are not compatible with SLI must be removed.. after reading some threads relating to the problem I made sure the cards were seated good and made the x8x4ncx8 change in the bios.. normal post and os boot to windows xp screen.. the desktop appeared momentarly and looked to be without drivers then a blue screen that said the problem seems to be caused by the file nv4_disp and the device driver got stuck in a infinite loop and that indicated a problem with the device or the device driver programing the hardware incorrectly...if I remove the drivers no blue screen but as soon as I load the drivers and try to enable SLI the system will reboot with the same results reboot after the windows xp logo or blue screen just after desktop appears...please help!!!..Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first DFI build and things were all falling into place till I went to enable SLI and was told that graphics cards that that are not compatible with SLI must be removed.. after reading some threads relating to the problem I made sure the cards were seated good and made the x8x4ncx8 change in the bios.. normal post and os boot to windows xp screen.. the desktop appeared momentarly and looked to be without drivers then a blue screen that said the problem seems to be caused by the file nv4_disp and the device driver got stuck in a infinite loop and that indicated a problem with the device or the device driver programing the hardware incorrectly...if I remove the drivers no blue screen but as soon as I load the drivers and try to enable SLI the system will reboot with the same results reboot after the windows xp logo or blue screen just after desktop appears...please help!!!..Thanks.

Have you tried using one card at a time in single VGA mode to test that both cards are indeed functional??

Potseeker

If you can still boot into windows uninstall your video card drivers, restart and go back into your BIOS if you cant boot in just reinstall your drivers after trying this -

In your Genie BIOS section there should be an option that says "dual 6800 mode" or something similar, activate this as well as the "x8x4ncx8" thing. After activating the "dual 6800" mode the "x8x4ncx8" should now be unchangeable.

Boot back into windows and reinstall your drivers and it should work. BTW activating "dual 6800 mode" in your BIOS will work for your 7800gtx's, it should really say SLI mode or something it was a bit confusing when I was trying to solve my problem.

Hope this helps. BTW kick butt system...

Ok tried dual 6800 mode x8x4ncx8 no drivers booted into windows ok loaded the driver ok then enabled sli clicked apply and on video... restarted and just after the windows xp screen a vertical yellow bar then nothing...

Have you swaped the monitor cable over to your second card ? after enableling SLI mode you need to plug your monitor into your second card otherwise you will see nothing on the screen.

If your monitor allows it, plug it into each card, so you can see the post screen and windows without having to swap the monitor cables between the cards.

make sure the monitor is pluggine into the top card.

Not true, the cable need to be plugged into the seccond card when in sli mode or you will see nothing, I should no I have an SLI system.