moving hard drives

i am building my son a computer and was hoping for the time being to use some old hard drives

these drives already have windows installed on it and some pics and documents that

i would like to keep would i be able to move them over to a new motherboard without having to reformat them and install windows again?

the hard drives and windows that is on them are not retail they will be coming out of a best buy bought computer

and if i cant keep all the data can i use my retail copy of windows that i used on my computer on my sons aswell or can you only use 1 copy of window on one computer

It can be done swapping a harddrive that was once installed on a different machine, but you can try the Windows Repair if you can't get it to boot into windows. Also if you only have one copy of Windows XP CD-ROM then you'll have to go and buy another since each copy is used for a system only. Good Luck.....

Another thing you can do is hook up that old drive to a working computer with a dvd-burner and burn your pictures and documents so if the last resort would be to format and reinstall windows on this swap you don't have any problems doing so. I hope this helps....