Prime 95 Old?

Technics

Guest burningrave101
Prime95 is a joke only if you use small fft's.

Use large ones, a custom test is in order here ;).

Min to use is 1024k-4096k.

Small FFT's is what your suppost to run to test the CPU itself. Small FFT's puts more stress on the L2 cache. Large FFT's is good to run too though because it uses more memory and puts more stress on the memory controller. You can run a custom test but you should set it to 8k-4096k with in-place FFTs ticked.

Memtest is the real joke.

However it should be tried once in a while, it saves time.

Quick testing, if you're not memtest stable you can make it stable with something else lol, then it's memtest stable, funny stuff too.

Never use memtest to breakin.

Memtest is for testing the memory. The reason why sometimes it doesn't report memory related issues and Windows still reboots or something is because its not the memory itself but the memory controller. Running something like a blend test in Prime95 would put more stress on the memory controller and memory both. For testing the RAM alone though i definitely suggest running Memtest and normally tests #5 and #8 are the best to loop.

As far as whether or not a system should considered stable if its stable in everything but Prime95 i think the FAQ in the Prime95 help file says it best:

Q) A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me, and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?" or "We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error. You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS. But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem, then the machines will continue to be stable.

If your system can't pass 12-24 hours of Prime95 then it isn't 100% stable. It may never give you problems and then again you may get a lockup right in the middle of your favorite game right before you beat that last mission and you just happened to forget to save your game in the last several hours.

you mean HTT?

Is is said in general to keep it below 2000. But I am not stable below 2000. I am running a little bit above.

But if you increase it a lot yu will have boot problems.. normally its better to keep it lower...

i'm running at 2160 htt (thanks for the correction) and was just wondering, if i could expect any problem. none so far

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im priming right now at 2925 1.57 vcore. I want at least 12 hrs prime stable. Do you guys beleive in the 'burn in' period? As in will I be able to lower voltages as time goes on? Or should I just take back this particular chip and exchange it for another? Its an awful wierd stepping, almost made me think its a rebadged 4800. CCB2E 0608 BPCW

Times have changed. You can be 24 hour prime stable and still be crashing. Prime is most helpfull in finding direct problems with cpu. But when it comes to memory you can be 20Mhz+ prime stable over being 3d stable. Trying to get 24hour prime stable could be barking up the wrong tree. I'm 24 hour prime stable on 2x1024 at 2.83Ghz, unfortinetly I get stuttering beyond 2.78Ghz. It's my cpu's memory controller... I am 8 hour prime stable with 2x512 at 2.87Ghz yet I am more stable then my 24 hour prime stable 2x1024 clocks. It's most helpfull optimizing with 3d benchmarking. Your 3d scores tell you more about what realy happening then Prime.