ATI Catalyst 6.4 Bug?

red930

Okay i've already formatted my harddrive and reinstalled a clean Windows XP along with Ethernet, SM Bus, IDE/SATA Drivers from the 6.70 Chipset drivers. I've also installed Catalyst 6.4 and everytime my screen gets passed the Windows XP Spash screen i get a few seconds of screen corruption and then goes into Windows XP just fine. I've noticed this once i change to the newest ATI drivers, and just curious if any of you have noticed the same issue? Can't take a shot at it because i don't have my camera, but it should be easy to understand screen corruption "Off colors and lines and dots...blah blah...".

Guest area51

Yup have the same malfunction.

I have noticed that every freaking x1 series card I have used lately has done this when using DVI. Have no idea what it is but seems to be related to DVI as I ocassionally get the message "DVI cannot display this mode".

Wierd thing is it has never happened once with my 7800GT.

But hear this, I've never seen this before when i was using previous Catalyst drivers 6.3, 6.2, and down the list. Only started doing this with th 6.4 drivers. Plus it doesn't say anything about DVI like you've mentioned. I don't know, but you still using that 704-2BTA bios and not the BETA BIOS for the motherboard? I'm using the BETA BIOS, so i don't think that is the issue.

Guest SaLadin_SS

same here

also my vpu current clock read 500 and my current mem clock reads 594 in Over drive panel and one know whats the deal with that?

So there is on user here that has been getting this issue with 6.3 and 6.4 with his R480? The reason why your clock frequencies are at 500/600 is because that speed is only for 2d mode, now when you start up a game that clock will change to 625/725 for your X1900XT if that's the video card you're having problems with clock speeds? Go ahead and open CCC and keep it on your desktop in "OVERDRIVE" menu to see the clocks and load a game and play for 5-10seconds and tab back to CCC and see the clocks again..

Note: For the user using 850xtpe why don't you try uninstalling 6.4 and going back to 5.11 w/cp for further testing.

Try installing windows wihtout the smbus driver, it's a bs driver anyways, just a name tag thing.

However it does contain a fix for gf4mx and gf2mx intergrated cards and ones that have a memory base like them ^^.

Like screwed cards.

Unless that was somethign else.

Anyways you are not supposed to install those smbus drivers, just liek you shoudl'nt install the memory controlelr drivers, both are bs, just names in the device manager to get the norm's to stop freaking about unknown devices.

Hmm I got 6.69 nv drivers and newer officials as well, but not 6.70, must be a new one, but old.

I hate that...

I will have to dl it to check for updated files :.

Hmm, now it's even a service that does nothing...

I can't find one that actually has that stupid fix though...

I'm to lazy to look through all my drivers.

The way the newer ones look though I don't think this is the issue.

But at least you know now.

Oh found it :), 8.22 driver, check this out, and you'll understand:

; nvsmb.INF

; Copyright © 2001-2002, NVIDIA

; Version 1.00

[Version]

Signature = "$WINDOWS NT$"

Class = System

ClassGuid = {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider = %NVIDIA%

CatalogFile = nvsmb.cat

DriverVer = 05/13/2005, 4.5.0

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]

%NVIDIA_MFG%=NVIDIA_SYS

[sourceDisksFiles]

[NVIDIA_SYS]

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_0064

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_00D4

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_0084

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_00E4

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = AMD_NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_0052

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_0034

%PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc% = NO_DRV, PCIVEN_10de&DEV_0264

;**************************************************************************

; Do-nothing section used to avoid "Unknown hardware" installation prompts.

[NO_DRV]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV

[NO_DRV.Services]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV.Services

[NO_DRV.HW]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV.HW

[AMD_NO_DRV]

AddReg=LargePageMinimum_AddReg

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV

[AMD_NO_DRV.Services]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV.Services

[AMD_NO_DRV.HW]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=NO_DRV.HW

[LargePageMinimum_AddReg]

HKLM,"SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management", LargePageMinimum, %REG_DWORD%, 0xffffffff

[strings]

REG_DWORD = 0x00010001

SystemClassName = "System devices"

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_MFG = "NVIDIA"

PCIVEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc = "NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management"

;;;

Make that largepagemin thing 0000 0001

It may work then.

Looky at my tweak file ver to undertand a bit more:

This may not help but it's worth a shot.

;Mininum Large Page Size

;"LargePageMinimum"=dword:00000001 ;1 Page

"LargePageMinimum"=dword:ffffffff ;Prevents the memory manager from using PSE, Limits Non-Paged Pool to 128Megs instead of 256Megs

Also look at these 2, damaged vga 1st:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management]

;"SystemPages"=dword:00028000

;This One Is Set For 256 Megs Of RAM & A 384 Meg Page File

;It Does Need More Study Again

;"SystemPages"=dword:ffffffff ;Maxed+Auto, Disabled PSE Mode, Limits nonpagedpool to 128m instead of 256m

"SystemPages"=dword:fffffffe ;Maxed Forced (Safe for now, not as much space as ffffffff is though)

;"SystemPages"=dword:00000000 ;Auto

;0=Auto, 1-fffffffe=Forced

;Default=303000/3158016

;Ends up messing up my video card, could be because some of the memory is unusable on it, bad video card

;All FF'ed is ok when you got a good vga card :

Good vga:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management]

;"SystemPages"=dword:00028000

;This One Is Set For 256 Megs Of RAM & A 384 Meg Page File

;It Does Need More Study Again

"SystemPages"=dword:ffffffff ;Maxed+Auto, Disabled PSE Mode, Limits nonpagedpool to 128m instead of 256m

;"SystemPages"=dword:fffffffe ;Maxed Forced (Safe for now, not as much space as ffffffff is though)

;"SystemPages"=dword:00000000 ;Auto

;0=Auto, 1-fffffffe=Forced

;Default=303000/3158016

;Ends up messing up my video card, could be because some of the memory is unusable on it, bad video card

;All FF'ed is ok when you got a good vga card :

Sorry it's old stuff I have sitting around, apperently it needs cleaned up :.

Darn darn, that's what I get for moving it into seperate files, I forget about them ^^.

It looks confusing to me too.

Best to look up on the msdn if it's still there.

Edit:

I rmember now.

The systempagaes one is the amount of total system pagaes possible.

If the card is bad, and you allow it to max out, it goes nuts.

Otherwise it does'nt matter.

The lrge page min, even though I don't think it's bad to ff it out, it's not good for performance and the card may realy on beaing able to use certain things that disables.

I'd better clean those 2 files up though I guess, it is still slightly confusing, may be slightly inaccurate and some old junk is still in there.

The 6.4 drivers seem to be giving alot of people problems.. This is the first driver from ATI that I might actually skip updating to.. But I cant complain since the 6.3's really work well for me..

Yeah, you're right Thunda (Employee of the month) j/k. I'm just going to go with the previous driver "Catalyst 6.3", i just can't believe the ATI Driver Team, since they've been doing so good. I guess nothing is perfect, thanks.