Confused: Sound (upgrade from soundstorm)

warzer

In the past with my asus a7n8x-deluxe I used a surround sound reciever and the coax/optical out. All games, movies and everything sounded wonderful. Now I have the onboard sound on the expert and well it just sucks horrid using the coax output. During high disk activity or processor the sound stutters very badly.

Well the question is, I see the xfi has coax/opt out and wanted to know if it will send teh 5.1-7.1 out though it. In games with the soundstorm i got the full emerssion of people walking and surround noises and if i had all 7 speakers pluged directly into the sound card. Would this still be the case on the xfi using the same opt/coax out?

can someone explain the difference to me? I know these cards have even my expert has the coax connector but they dont' seem to work the same way as the soundstorms. I was looking at getting the xfi or the mystique i think its called with ddl encoding. Again not sure if its the encoding that makes it work with games or what does. Is it possible to output the new eax on the xfi out to a reciever and have it decode it properly? How bout the m-audio cards? they are completely new to me.

PLease Help this Helpless newb!

War

You should be looking at Dolby Digital Live cards, Soundstorm did DDL and if you plan on using optical/coax out then these are the card to look at, note they only support EAX2.0. The HDA cards are very simular to soundstorm, the key is DDL. I had soundstorm before and I think these cards are even better! The X-fi cards can't do Dolby Digial Live, it downstamples the audio to analog basically. The M-Audio cards are nice, but used more for professional recording. I own both a X-Fi and XMystique

and both cards are excellent. But if your looking for optical out that won't be downsamples the HDA DDL cards are the way to go. Awesome for music, movies and very good for games. X-fi might be better for games down the road due to EAX5.0 support. The X-fi might be a little better at bass also. Tough call, thats why I own both lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16829127001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16829156001

I am guessing most games even nowdays don't come with native 5.1 surround? if they did wouldn't the xfi work fine? only those games that don't have native 5.1 need the encoding ddl?

trying to get my facts stright.

War

I think this will be the card i will get, just hope i can wait.

Thanks for contacting Auzentech, Inc.

We are planning to release the X-Purity (8788 chipset) sometime in Q3.

We appreciate your interest in our product.