Ram Upgrade: need advice on what to purchase

Cellwind929

I will be upgrading my ram from 2x 512mb sticks of Value Kingston ram. In the same order, I will be ordering the OCZ Powerstream 520W.

My question is, which ram should I purchase. I would like something that will overclock well with my Opty 165. I'll probably be going for 2x1024mb (2x 1gig sticks). I just want to get the best Ram I can for my system, which is used for gaming/video editing/general multi-tasking. The budget I'm shooting for is around $200, but anything over is fine as long as the price is worth it. I have been looking at GSkill ram and OCZ.

Another question I have is this: I have read that there are limititations with the AMD memory controller, so if in the future I get 2 more gig sticks, they will automatically downclock in speed? I just would like some clarification on how this works as well

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Model F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231021

@Newegg.com they'll run you about $190 w/o shipping and tax. This is what i'm using with my Opteron 165 @2.6GHz 289x9 1.4vcore w/memory on 180divider @260MHz 3448 2.6vdimm. If you want to give it a try...well priced overclockable memory. Probably can hit 270MHz with adjusted timings, but don't really have alot of patience so i haven't tried :)

been really happy with my Crucial Ballistix so far, see sig

you want to either get two 1Gb sticks now or two 512Mb sticks now, you dont want to get 2 256Mb sticks and get 2 more later for a total of 4, you want to avoid 4 sticks of memory at all costs