Want to hop on the RAID 0 Bandwagon.

cmay119

Hi all, I'm looking at setting up a RAID 0 pretty soon. I'm actually going to replace the single Seagate 120GB SATA and go with 2 or more smaller SATA drives.

The question I have, is I might be looking @ setting up a RAID 0 with 3 or 4 drives instead of just 2. What really now comes to mind, is will my PSU be able to handle this?

Right now I just have a skimpy lil ATi X300se, but that will soon be replaced with either a 7900GTX or an X1900XTX.

This a single rail PSU (if you didn't know) with the +12v rated @ 33A. I'm already running a dual core processor @ 2.5GHz at the moment.

I'm wondering, if I just might be throwing too much stuff at this bad boy. I have no problem upgrading PSU's if that's what it comes to, but I've grown acustomed to this wonderful PSU and if I don't have to replace it, than that's great.

Thanks for the help all. :)

hardrives use about 10watts each. so figure then that thier gonna peak drain at about 15watts.

personally i dont think your gonna kill the PSU you got now.with adding a few more drives.

RIght now im running my rig with a POS coolermaster 520watt PSU and its fine. ive got lots of drives,cards,adapters and all sorts of stuff not listed in my sig that drains directly off the PSU.

I cant wait for the RMA process for my 600W ocz Modstream to compleate. i hate this temp one i have right now.

There will be no problem with 4 drives if you only clock that DC Opteron moderately. My 7200 drives only take 5 watts after spinup. The 15,000 RPM barracudas in my office workstation are a different matter, though.

However, raid-0 provides no speedup at all for a number of applications.

What exactly do you want to speed up?

Ahhh, just loading times for games and other junk like that. I don't have "NEED" for one, but more of something that I've wanted to do. I don't know if 4 drives is neccesary, Just something that sounds kinda fun.