Which would you get: Opt.175,X2 4600 or FX-55/57

Protostar

Hey Guys,

Am trying to make up my mind. I primarily do gaming with this comp. What do you guys think would be best for gaming. Dual core or a single..?

Thanks for the input........ Proto

Generally single core chips are considered better for gaming right now, & that will hold true at least until games are multi-threaded. If you do much multi-tasking then go with a dual core. I can play FEAR maxed out while encoding XviD/DivX files with no lag... thats impossible to do on a single core CPU... if you have to choose between an opty 175 & 4600, go for the 175.

Thanks much for the input Photeus,

I'm a gamer & other general use. I like the dual core thing. Right now I have an X2 3800 Toledo core. Does'nt overclock very well.Not impressed. But, i got it for $200 from a buddy & tried it out. It's OK but I want more ...

Single core is fine with me.Like you said games are'nt written for multi-threading as of yet.

So, why the Opty...?

Why are there rumers that they are better than the X2's...?

Since I do'nt multi-task at all...........

Opty single core...?

anytime,

Opterons are generally considered better overclockers because they are designed for use in harsh environments (servers & workstations). i.e. they can withstand more of the torture most of us around here will subject them to. From what i have seen, and what many around here will tell you, the Opterons are more consistantly better overclockers than the athlon's or x2's. Essentially they have higher quality cores...

take a browse through the unofficial opteron thread to get a better idea and see what OC results others have gotten with their opty...

the unofficial opteron dual core thread is here

Well,

The idea of an Opteron does sound appealing. But one thing I have to consider ( unfortunately ) is I no longer have a DFI LP. U had it, ran it loved it.

But, I wanted to go ATI Crossfire so now I have an Asus A8R32-MVP with a couple of X1900XT's in Crossfire mode.

Asus boards DO NOT overclock anything remotely like the DFI LP. So, I am wondering just how high the Asus board will let me go.

Initial test reports on both the A8R-MVP & the A8R32-MVP were heralded as the end be all of overclocking boards.

NOT SO in the least. Nobody & I mean NOBODY is touting killer overclocks like the DFI LP.

So I made a sacrifice.

I really like the idea of running somthing different like an Opteron. I guess if someone could show me they clocked an Opty pretty well on the Asus it would be a slam dunk.

things to ponder...........

thanks again friend............ Proto

Well,

The idea of an Opteron does sound appealing. But one thing I have to consider ( unfortunately ) is I no longer have a DFI LP. U had it, ran it loved it.

But, I wanted to go ATI Crossfire so now I have an Asus A8R32-MVP with a couple of X1900XT's in Crossfire mode.

Asus boards DO NOT overclock anything remotely like the DFI LP. So, I am wondering just how high the Asus board will let me go.

Initial test reports on both the A8R-MVP & the A8R32-MVP were heralded as the end be all of overclocking boards.

NOT SO in the least. Nobody & I mean NOBODY is touting killer overclocks like the DFI LP.

So I made a sacrifice.

I really like the idea of running somthing different like an Opteron. I guess if someone could show me they clocked an Opty pretty well on the Asus it would be a slam dunk.

things to ponder...........

thanks again friend............ Proto

you know dfi has the rdx200 which is their cf board.. wait for the 3200 from dfi to come out sometime this year.

dfi is overkill for noob ocers.

opty 170, not 175, is my pick. itll oc better, according to ppl (and myself)