My slipstreamed XP Disk Failed

Scott P

I went to install XP Pro on my new computer, but I ran into a problem. I got an error that said "unable to boot from CD Code :5" or something along those lines. I followed AG's instructions on his site. I used ISO Buster and Nero 7 trial. I thought I did evverything correctly. I'm now installing from my regular XP Cd which pre-dates SP1. I can only format my drive to 137 GB.

Any idea what went wrong? Will I be able to expand the 137 GB partition to the full 300 GB once install is complete?

Yes, the way I did it before was I used partition magic and made it include the rest of the space in the partition. There are probably other programs that can do that too but if you don't have one you can just make another slipstreamed cd and reformat again.

One other way to use a pre-service pack version of XP on your 300 gig is to format the drive first. You can plug it into another computer and format it there or use a format tool on a floppy or CD. After it's been formatted, install XP but choose to leave the file system alone so that it doesn't reformat it. Now when you first boot into Windows it will only see 137gb, but after you install the service pack then it will see the whole thing so be sure to do your updates first.

That is how I used to do it before I slipstreamed sp2 into it.

One common mistake is to forget the boot image which is a hidden file on the original CD. ISObuster, winimage or other similar apps can extract that to the build files folder. Nero then grabs it and puts it in the exact sector it needs to be when you burn the slipstreamed disk. I've done one for both XPSP2 and W2kSP4 and they both worked great. I'd like to make one for NT4SP6a so I don't have to deal with the floppy boot.