Trying out x64 Professional

flapjackman176

hey guys,

ive decided to try out the windows x64 Profressional through the free trial online and im able to aquire a copy if i like it. through this update i am looking arround for all of my drivers needed to upgrade to x64 Pro.

*Specs in sig*

so far i've got:

ITE Smartguardian x64

Nvidia NF4 x64 chipset

X-FI x64

GeForce x64 driviers

what else does it look like i need?

and should i set my BIOS settings to default when installing the new OS?

thanks in advance!

Yeah....a miracle. :) XP64 is really not that good. It is actually slower in more things than it is faster. Hope you are using free Antivirus software such as AVG or Avast, because that is all you are going to get to run on 64 bit.

Most software companies don't even consider XP64 to be a real OS.

As of this time, Smart Guardian for x64 doesn't work. It causes errors when trying to install, and reads temps reversed. Read stickie at top of page.

If you plan on doing raid, the latest 64 bit drivers off of DFI's site have worked great for me.

I have a X-FI Extreme Music coming on wednesday, so I don't know about their drivers yet, but my Audigy2 ZS has worked perfect with every set they've offered.

The only thing I haven't been able to install is a few old games, and the 64 bit Smart Guardian, that just came out.

The only piece of hardware I haven't been able to get drivers for is a Nostromo N-52 game pad.

Avast is very good and free. I actually like it better than any of the pieces of . I had to pay for.

If you don't have a bunch of old hardware, and it doesn't look like you do, or try to run old software titles, it should be fine. Anyway, I'm sure you have, but check for 64 bit drivers for printers, scanners and cameras or any other peripherals. All mine work.

Marvell lan drivers are built into x64, don't know about NF4 lan drivers as I never use them.

There is some evidence you may not be able to overclock as high as XP, but it is just as fast, smoother, and more stable than XP.

You can get the x64 chipset drivers which includes lan drivers on the nvidia website, and you can get the x-fi drivers from creative, after you install the x64 driver you can use the cd and install the rest of the stuff.